Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bugeek
Level 7

Disable speaker cutoff on Roku 3

Really would like a way to disable the speaker audio being cut off when a pair of headphones are plugged into the Roku 3 remote..
Think it be great to be able to use conventional headphones without a wireless adapter, or a long extension cord for listening to the Roku while others watch TV... Great for those who are a bit hard of hearing to make the Roku 3 more accessable and useful..
0 Kudos
31 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Disable speaker cutoff on Roku 3

Don't know if it's even possible, but I'd second the request. My wife is getting a bit hard of hearing in her old age.
If she could use the headphones, I could go back to listening to the TV at a normal volume instead of being blown into the back of my chair. :shock:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 7

There is a mode that does that. It is intended for debugging and is not a supported feature, but you can try it out. To toggle it on and off, press these buttons on the remote volume control while the headphone is inserted: U U D D U U U D D D.

--Mark
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Thanks Mark. You may have given me a reason to order a 3. Smiley Tongue
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 7

"kc8pql" wrote:
Thanks Mark. You may have given me a reason to order a 3. Smiley Tongue
You do realize that doing that would give your wife control of the remote. Something no "real" man should allow. Smiley Wink :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

This is a great feature suggestion.. Maybe "Mute TV speaker when headphone is plugged in" is what you call it?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
You do realize that doing that would give your wife control of the remote. Something no "real" man should allow. Smiley Wink :mrgreen:

Hey, after 40 years married to the same woman, there's not much of that left anyway. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 7

Neat. Just make sure check the volume on your TV/AMP or you'll be in for blast..!! Smiley LOL
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
macharborguy
Level 7

This is going to make my girlfriend so happy. She loves the Roku, and while I was more happy about the headphone addition to the Roku 3, she will love this "debug" feature because, at times (even with our nice Sony A/V receiver), some movies have music/sfx that are far louder than the main dialog (even using the AVRs compensation features). The headphones have a bit more of a tinny sound, but having both the main speakers and the headphones running at once allows the speakers to add a little bass, while the headphones keep the dialog at a more reasonable level vs the music and effects.
0 Kudos
njweb
Level 7

"bugeek" wrote:
Really would like a way to disable the speaker audio being cut off when a pair of headphones are plugged into the Roku 3 remote..
Think it be great to be able to use conventional headphones without a wireless adapter, or a long extension cord for listening to the Roku while others watch TV... Great for those who are a bit hard of hearing to make the Roku 3 more accessable and useful..

+1
Not a bad idea! My parents would love the ability to do this.
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
0 Kudos