Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsanders1
Level 8

Did an Update just Brick older Express Devices?

Jump to solution

Starting this morning, our older Express stopped booting. We see the Roku splash screen, then black. The LED is blinking about 1 sec on, 1/2 sec off.

Is the device trying to phone home to a service that's down? I am having some problems with a few web sites like Google News as well. Our internet connection is otherwise fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karanat77
Level 7

Re: Did an Update just Brick older Express Devices?

Jump to solution

Mine was doing the same thing, just did a factory reset and it's rebooting now. There's a small hole on the back (mine is the express) so had to use a toothpick and hold it there for 30 seconds and when it started, it needed to be set up as if I had just purchased it. It's reinstalling all the channels, so that's taken some time, but once it finished, it was back to normal. Hope that helps you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
karanat77
Level 7

Re: Did an Update just Brick older Express Devices?

Jump to solution

Mine was doing the same thing, just did a factory reset and it's rebooting now. There's a small hole on the back (mine is the express) so had to use a toothpick and hold it there for 30 seconds and when it started, it needed to be set up as if I had just purchased it. It's reinstalling all the channels, so that's taken some time, but once it finished, it was back to normal. Hope that helps you!

View solution in original post

wsanders1
Level 8

RESOLVED: Did an Update just Brick older Express Devices?

Jump to solution

I fixed this: 

- Hold in reset switch for 10 seconds, or until the "Get Started" page appears. 

- Reenter and re-register your device.

The process added in a bunch of channels that I had never opted into like Sling and Disney+. The Express was also very slow, 10 to 15 lag between pressing a remote button and its action, until I deleted some channels.

I wonder if it was the Netflix app? When the reconfig got around to adding the Netflix channel, it took several minutes to add, much longer than the other channels. It seemed like the Express got much faster after I deleted the Netflix channel.

0 Kudos