Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElizabethT

Re: Dark screen. Can barely see tv programs.

I just bought the Onn Roku TV and plugged it in. The screen has been completely dim since turning it on for the very first time. I cannot see anything on the screen without holding a flashlight directly to the screen. The audio works. I have unplugged and tried the code sequence on the remote. Zero luck!

0 Kudos
lovelylena

Same problem. 

External Roku box. All apps have issue. Restart several times to fix. 

Should be dubbed "gray screen of death."

When playing Teen Titans Go on Hulu for my kid last night, for example, the Roku menu works fine. Hulu menu works fine. Push play- audio works fine. All that shows up on the screen is the Cartoon Network logo. But I can see the Options menu clearly over top. Strangest thing!

My kid says that if he Restarts it and then leaves it on the StartUp screen for 10 minutes before clicking anything, that usually fixes it for him... for a couple of nights....

0 Kudos
Jiuzzo
Reel Rookie

Does not work

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jiuzzo

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nolan1

Check your dynamic brightness setting on the tv. Turned it off in my samsung tv fixed the issue. Also explains why it only happened intermittently. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jiuzzo
Reel Rookie

I reset display on the tv and it worked. Thanks.

0 Kudos
KoryP

worked for me. I went to the menu (*) then picture mode. Arrow right to “movie” mode and it went back to normal. I don’t know how or if that setting was changed. I have a Roku tv 65 inch, no stick, no cable. Thank God! 

GeneralMayhem
Channel Surfer

I had a similar problem with my Sanyo 65" Roku T.V.

Home screen and preview for Prime Video displays fine, but when you choose to watch something screen goes very dark and purplish.

Followed advice here and changed the settings by accessing menu by pressing the * button on remote while in full screen mode and changing setting from "vivid" to "movie" mode and that seemed to fix it for now, I don't know how long it will last for. All other modes except "movie" mode have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Jmasarek

Having exact same issue. Menus including this showing a preview of the content all fine but when playing actual content selections are all dark , over saturated colors etc. cannot be hdmi connection as it’s a Rokutv with it built in

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jmasarek

Thanks for the post.

The issue you are experiencing may be related to a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting [Roku TV company] support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos