Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex97
Channel Surfer

Dark, grayed out screen on Roku Ultra device

Jump to solution

I turned on my Roku after watching it earlier that day and suddenly the home screen came up as usual, but the entire screen was grayed out and dark—barely visible. I can still see and control everything and stream tv and hear sound, but the image is almost black. I know it's not my tv because when not on the Roku screen, the color is normal. Here's what I've tried that has not helped:

• Hard reset by unplugging device for 1 min and also another time by unplugging cord from wall socket
  • Device reset through Roku settings
  • TV reset by unplugging from wall
  • Switched HDMI ports in tv—tried 2 different ones from normal
  • Switched HDMI cords
  • Blew out HDMI and power port on Roku device to clear out possible dust

Is there anything else I can do, or is my Roku just broken?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dark, grayed out screen on Roku Ultra device

Jump to solution

@alex97 

What is the model number of your TV?  

I have seen some different postings that users had to configure their HDMI ports (a video setting such as normal, brilliant, etc) on various TVs.

Glad to hear you have an extra Roku for testing.  Always beneficial to run some troubleshooting steps like this to narrow down problem.

Although an hdmi port can fail, you said you experienced no change when switching hdmi ports and your regular OTA works fine so not likely a video board issue (at first glance).  Think we have to eliminate settings first.  If you provide model number of TV, can look to see if a setting is causing issue or if the TV can be factory rest like you did to the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@alex97 

If you do not have another TV to test your device on (just to rule out some TV setting), then you can try to factory reset the device.  Not sure if different locations for different Ultra models, but there should be a little rubber Reset Button on the underside (bottom) of the Roku unit.  While still powered on, press and hold for 30+ seconds. (Make sure you have a working remote before doing a factory reset).

If doesn't resolve issue, then likely a failed device.  Roku devices under a year old are eligible for warranty replacement.  https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

Post back with any updates.

0 Kudos
alex97
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Thank you for your reply, but that did not work. Restarting does not help. I'm assuming there's something wrong with the video output.

Also, now when I turn it on, it says "In main menu, 50 items" even though I did not program it to do that.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@alex97 

Just to verify, the factory reset should take you through the full setup of the Roku Ultra like the day you bought it.  It is not just a restart.  If you can see the menus, you can also navigate to Settings..System..Advanced System...Factory Reset.

Just checking to see if the Ultra actually went through the reset, rather than a restart.

With the additional issue (50 channels), sounds like something is corrupted.  

0 Kudos
alex97
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Yes, I was able to see the screen enough to go through the whole reset process. Though after resetting, that automated voice did not go off again. But video is not fixed, unfortunately. Still very dark.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@alex97 

Some TVs have individual HDMI picture settings that sometimes have to be configured.  I think the only way to rule out a bad device is to try it on another TV.

If unavailable to you, and you don't see any settings under your TV HDMI or Video Settings (TV menu settings, not Roku) that could be contributing, have to assume a failed device.  The factory reset is last resort normally.  

I think the only other thing I would try is changing the display type from within Roku. (Settings...Display Type).  Try lowering to 720 or raising to 1080.  This should flash the screen and analyze the HDMI connection.  Other than that, probably need a new device, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
alex97
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

I was able to get a different Roku device plugged into my tv (a Roku 2 XS) and the image is still very dark, the same as with my Roku Ultra. Now I'm thinking there's something wrong with my tv. But when my tv is on the "No Signal" screen, everything is fine and the color is bright and normal. Is there a way a tv's HDMI input can break?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@alex97 

What is the model number of your TV?  

I have seen some different postings that users had to configure their HDMI ports (a video setting such as normal, brilliant, etc) on various TVs.

Glad to hear you have an extra Roku for testing.  Always beneficial to run some troubleshooting steps like this to narrow down problem.

Although an hdmi port can fail, you said you experienced no change when switching hdmi ports and your regular OTA works fine so not likely a video board issue (at first glance).  Think we have to eliminate settings first.  If you provide model number of TV, can look to see if a setting is causing issue or if the TV can be factory rest like you did to the Roku.

0 Kudos
alex97
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks!

I did a factory reset and it solved the problem. Somehow the picture settings were being set to all 0, even though I did a picture reset. The factory reset solved it though.

Thank you, I appreciate your help!

rhoneywe

Jump to solution
My set is Philips and I have three others with Roku. This only happens on the Philips and is at least once a week. I contacted Roku, they replaced the unit and I have swapped with my other TVs and same Issue. I believe this is a glitch in the compatibility with Philips.
0 Kudos