Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blair55
Level 7

DVR Function of a Ultra

Jump to solution

I’ve ordered a Roku Ultra and would like to use the playback features. Can I use an external 2TB HD to playback and record shows?

thanks, Blair.. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DVR Function of a Ultra

Jump to solution

Hi @Blair55,

You can connect an external USB drive for playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files. Roku devices don't have built-in recording capabilities, but many alternative cable TV providers offer "cloud DVR" features, like YouTube TV, Sling TV, Fubu TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Philo. Since these services use cloud storage, a USB drive isn't needed.

I've provided some links below to go into further detail.

Learn more about services that offer "cloud DVR" features here. 

Learn more about external USB drive support here.

Happy Streaming!
Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2\
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @Blair55,

You can connect an external USB drive for playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files. Roku devices don't have built-in recording capabilities, but many alternative cable TV providers offer "cloud DVR" features, like YouTube TV, Sling TV, Fubu TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Philo. Since these services use cloud storage, a USB drive isn't needed.

I've provided some links below to go into further detail.

Learn more about services that offer "cloud DVR" features here. 

Learn more about external USB drive support here.

Happy Streaming!
Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

Blair55
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, I have a 5TB external USB HD connected to my router with just over 3,000 TV shows (taken me 9 years to get) and over 350 movies. I can access them from any smart device in my home. I’m replacing a Roku stick with the Ultra. What with the price of cable I just can’t justify it anymore? I'll have a look at the cloud DVR features to see what I want to do while streaming live TV. If I like the Ultra, I’ll replace three more Roku’s with it. There’s simply too much to stream for a reasonable price to keep cable, they are pricing themselves right out of the market. Again, many thanks for the reply and links.  Blair...

0 Kudos