Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

DVD Player on Roku Page. Where are yo?

New to Roku. Roku Home page doesn't have icon for DVD player. Harmony remote opens HDMI 2 as previously but no icon and remote doesn't play DVD. I've tried all I can think of. How do I play a disc?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: DVD Player on Roku Page. Where are yo?

Are you referring to a Roku TV or a Roku player? For a Roku player, there's no way to play a media disk with the player. For a TV, you simply connect a disk player to an available HDMI port and select that input on the main Roku home screen. The Roku TV should recognize something connected to the HDMI port and display the icon on the home page automatically, but if it doesn't you can enable it on the Settings/TV Inputs menu. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you. You've opened my eyes. My DVD player is no longer connected to TV. When I added Roku it took the place of the DVD and used the HDMI input. The DVD player works but is not picture is not visible (of course). Is there a workaround? Can I disconnect Roku temporarily to connect DVD. Will that allow me to watch a movie on my DVD player? What can I do? Help. Thanks again for your help so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

If your TV has more than one HDMI input, then just connect them both and use the TV remote to switch inputs. If there's only one, you can either swap the cables or buy an inexpensive HDMI switcher. A quick peak at Amazon shows two port 1080 switches for $10 or less, and four port switches for $20-30. Expect a slightly higher price for 4K capable switches, but I still see them under $30. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

If your tv has only one HDMI port, connect both to the tv via an HDMI Switch as shown below:

hdmi switch.PNG

You can then use the HDMI switch to control which device you view through the shared HDMI port on your television.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos