Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
repiuk
Channel Surfer

DTS sync on S/PDIF (Roku Ultra 9.1)

I finally got update 9.1. DTS audio sync is not fixed on the S/PDIF out. I can't check HDMI because my amp doesn't have HDMI in.
The solution (for Plex) is to select only Dolby Digital which results in transcoding on the Plex server.
Tried several sources with both the Plex app and from USB. They all have DTS sync problems (i.e. it's not a specific Plex problem)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: DTS sync on S/PDIF (Roku Ultra 9.1)

@repiuk

Thanks for the note!

- Does this issue occur uniformly across all channels on your device, or only in the Plex channel? 
- Have you tried connecting your Roku player directly to the TV via an HDMI cable, then using optical audio out from the TV to your A/V receiver to see if this resolves the issue?

With more information, we can continue looking into this. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
repiuk
Channel Surfer

Yes all channels. Tried the same files with Plex and the Roku media player. All the same DTS sync problem. It definitely not Plex related!
My samsung TV doesn't support DTS pass through from HDMI to Optical. ie it only supports PCM stereo on HDMI. So I can't test that. That's why I got the Roku Ultra with optical out. 
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the context and details. 

- Have you tried encoding the file using a different application to see if you experience the same issue? 
- What is your specific A/V receiver make/model? 
- What is your TV's specific make/model? 
- Could you provide a link to a repository where a sample affected file encoded with DTS is located, in order to test with?

We'll continue looking into this from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
repiuk
Channel Surfer

- TV Samsung 2013 model. The TV is not involved in this problem. Audio is not routed through HDMI and the TV (it only does PCM 2.0 on HDMI inputs). I can play DTS sources from USB connected on the Samsung directly. In that case DTS out is supported and playing without sync issues,
- amp is an Philips FR996 with optical in. It does DTS and I have connected all kinds of DTS sources (media and hardware) on this amp always without any hickups
I have found lots of DTS sync issues on this forum. Maybe it's solved for HDMI pass through. In this case optical out is used on the Roku Ultra. That's why I got the Ultra. The only other option is a bulky HTPC.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the details here. It's helpful for us to have the details about your home setup when we're investigating a possible issue. 

If you are able to, providing a sample file that you encounter the issue on can also be a huge help. Please send me a private message with the following details so I can continue assisting you: 

- Roku account email address
- Serial number of your Roku player from Settings>System>About 
- Version/build of software that your device is currently running from Settings>System>About 
- If possible, a link to a test file that our team can take a look at to try and reproduce the issue you're reporting. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
0 Kudos
repiuk
Channel Surfer

After several updates audio remains out of sync with spdif out. Found a hdmi spdif splitter and connected my amp to the spdif of the hdmi splitter. Audio sync is now correc t. My conclusion dts audio sync over hdmi is ok. Dts audio sync over spdif on the roku is not.

I hope your engineers can solve this problem. A bit strange to connect a cheap hdmi spdif splitter on such a nice roku. I dont like the extra cables and power adapters to solve this bug. 

EDIT: Adding a hdmi spdif splitter introduces other issues (Must be the cheap splitter. Another reason why I want to loose it and run Roku only):

- Every now and then the Roku displays the HDCP error which can be solved by power cycle everything... 

- sometimes the split DTS stream is corrupt or something else resulting in a flashing display on the amp and no audio.

0 Kudos
HolyRoses

I experience the same issue with a roku 4640.  DTS audio plays before they speak while using the optical cable.

0 Kudos