Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

"ST Dog" wrote:

No option to stream TrueHD, SRS-MA, or even 7.1 AAC using a Roku device. Nevermind Atmos or DTS:X.

All Ruku devices should at least allow bitsteeam on HDMI of all those multichannel audio options. Then it's up to the user to stream audio their AVR/preprocessoe supports.

Just my opinion, but to allow bitstreaming the HD audio requires a license from each company. No idea what that license might cost, but most likely more than Roku feels their customers would be willing to pay. Remember that the majority of Roku customers connect their player directly to a TV. Paying for a bitstream license does nothing for them.
Personally, I too wish I could bitstream HD audio. I'd be willing to pay for a codec package at a reasonable cost. You will find very few players that stream HD audio. The Nvidia Shield is the least costly option I am aware of, and it starts at $200. Based on what I read in the forums about it, the Shield has as many issues as Roku does.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Yeah I’m assuming licensing costs are why they dropped AAC 5.1 on the newest ultra. No doubt they keep stats and likely this was rarely used so they figured they could drop it, and optical Toslink, which is a bit dated, and lower the cost.

I chose roku over the shield because it was so much cheaper, so I do respect that choice, as long as things work as advertised. Hopefully this dts issue gets sorted out sooner than later.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

If you have an AVR capable of decoding DD+/Atmos connected to your Roku player, you should be able to stream Atmos audio to it. Also, some Roku TVs are able to stream DD+/Atmos via ARC to AVRs that are able to decode it as well.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Dale, I believe they are referring to streaming Dolby TureHD with Atmos from Blu ray rips, not the DD+ that Vudu is using. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NItroTech
Level 7

Dale,

Honestly, some of the more recent posts technically are over my head so I'm truly unsure if they contribute to solving the DTS audio sync issue. Having said that if they are not lets get back to the issue please and if others wouldn't hijack, if you are, the topic. Sorry for being ignorant to some the technical stuff here. Its just this issue is a year old or more. 

Dale, it sure feels like Roku is just stringing people along and more and more like this is an issue that cannot be solved because its actually a hardware issue. How is it this has gone on for a year?
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Bumping for visibility
0 Kudos
Noah0504
Level 7

Well, I'm a little late to the game, but add my name to the list of people having the issue with DTS.

I previously just had my Roku Streaming Stick connected directly to my TV and audio being sent from the TV to my simple stereo sound bar via optical.  I never had an issue with audio and video being in sync.

I recently decided to upgrade the sound for my TV, so I picked up and AVR and some speakers for a simple stereo setup.  When testing the setup, I noticed the movie I was watching on Plex was having audio and video sync issues.  I just figured the delay was due to the Roku now being connected to the AVR first and then the video being sent to the TV.  I had to increase the delay to 200ms to get it right, but then I started noticing that it was off again when watching certain shows on Netflix.

I finally stumbled upon the issue being widespread and then this forum post.  I can verify that if I change my audio options on the Roku to not allow DTS, I no longer have to have a delay set for DTS content on Plex as it's being transcoded to DD.

We have nothing but Rokus in our house and I even took advantage of the IPO to buy shares in the company -- simply said, I'm a pretty big fan, but I was pretty bummed to learn about this issue now and also discover that it's been a problem for over a year with no fix.

At least transcoding will get me by for now, and only one setup is affected, but it's still pretty lame.
0 Kudos
Ray745
Level 7

"knight2001dts" wrote:
For those with DTS audio sync issues, have you worked out the audio delay/advance compared to the video?

Is it always the same amount?

Perhaps try shifting the audio within an MKV file with mkvmerge util and share results here????

I'll try some tonight and report back - if it can be resolved by switching in/out a delay of some sort this may help developers to create an easy fix or at least a workaround in a menu option?

It is not always the same amount, it even varies within the same file during the same playback.  If I pause or rewind whatever I'm watching, the delay will change, it may start out just a quarter of a second behind or so, but if I pause and then play, it will suddenly be half a second behind, then eventually a full second behind.  It's a maddening problem.

I just played a file and it literally had a 5 second audio delay.  5 seconds!!
0 Kudos
PManarin
Level 7

I agree the delay changes all of the time. Sometimes you believe it's caught up and in sync only to fall back seconds later. Very strange behaviour.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

"NItroTech" wrote:
Dale,

Honestly, some of the more recent posts technically are over my head so I'm truly unsure if they contribute to solving the DTS audio sync issue. Having said that if they are not lets get back to the issue please and if others wouldn't hijack, if you are, the topic. Sorry for being ignorant to some the technical stuff here. Its just this issue is a year old or more. 

Dale, it sure feels like Roku is just stringing people along and more and more like this is an issue that cannot be solved because its actually a hardware issue. How is it this has gone on for a year?

Problem never used to exist so I do not think it is hardware but OS/firmware.
0 Kudos