Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
interconnect
Level 7

Re: Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

I have a Roku Ultra. Using latest PMS and Plex Pass client on the Roku. Are you using the same? Are your files regular DTS or or different variant?
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Regular dts.

Hmmm. Trying to think what would make my setup different than yours and I’m at a loss.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

All Roku Ultras should be able to decode AAC multichannel. If you have an Ultra with optical out (Dolby enabled) then it may transcode 5.1 AAC to 5.1 Dolby before sending it out optical or hdmi. If you have the newer Ultra without optical and Dolby decode, it should decode multichannel AAC and downmix to PCM stereo before sending it out the hdmi port. Are you hearing stereo or are you hearing silence when you are file has multichannel AAC?
rokudale
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Hi dale. I have the non optical ultra.

AAC 5.1 is mixed down to 2.0 stereo.

Because of the dts sync issue I have turned off dts in my roku settings. This is causing Plex to convert dts to AAC 5.1. It would be much more ideal if it would convert to ac3. Not sure if this is plex’s fault or roku’s fault.

Do appreciate the response.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Are you using Plex client or RMP client?
Plex uses their own profiles to control transcoding. If you are using RMP you could join the rmp beta program and we could talk more technical details there.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Pieter3d
Level 7

Dale,

Could you update us on where Roku engineering is fixing this issue properly (not the downmix solution). It clearly is a Roku firmware regression, this issue started happening at version 7.5.1, and isn't limited to just Plex.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

I'm using Plex.  The official Plex channel is converting to AAC, but the private channel "Plex Classic" converts to AC3.  So obviously I'm using the classic version so I can still at least listen in surround.

Not sure why Roku would abandon dolby decoding for AAC.  Especially on a product named "Ultra."

In any case, as other users are pointing out, a fix for the DTS issue would be the best solution!
0 Kudos
interconnect
Level 7

I have the Roku Ultra with optical port, so that explains it.

I have DTS off currently in the Roku settings (due to the DTS sync issue) which is forcing DTS to transcode to DD.... this is Plex doing the transcoding, not the Roku.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Thanks interconnect! Glad to know neither of us is crazy.

I’ve been going back and forth with a Plex dev on the Plex Forums and they’re going to update the roku profile so that the newer ultras don’t get served AAC 5.1.
0 Kudos
ST_Dog
Level 7

"Daxproduck" wrote:
Thanks interconnect!  Glad to know neither of us is crazy.

I’ve been going back and forth with a Plex dev on the Plex Forums and they’re going to update the roku profile so that the newer ultras don’t get served AAC 5.1.

Got a link to that thread? PM if not appropriate for the forum.

What still doesn't make sense is why Roku isn't just sending 6 channel PCM like my BDP does using the Plex app in OperaTV/Viewd.

The whole resaon I got yhe Roku was becsuse that spp was really slow and had issues with some audio codecs causing me to have to reencode stuff.

But find out Roku isn;t much better. At least the Opera app would send 7.1 AAC to my receiver as PCM. The Roku Express+ can't send any 8 channel audio. And the 4k Roku TV wouldn't either (HDMI ARC won't do 8 ch).

And looks like the Ultra is a no go as well.

No option to stream TrueHD, SRS-MA, or even 7.1 AAC using a Roku device. Never mind Atmos or DTS:X.

All Roku devices should at least allow bitstream on HDMI of all those multichannel audio options. Then it's up to the user to stream audio their AVR/processor supports.
0 Kudos