Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronc7
Level 7

DTS Audio Sync

Add me to the list of people who have audio sync issues with any and all DTS audio files.  The audio is slightly ahead of the video.  Roku Ultra 4640X.  I did a factory reset today just because and it had no effect.  Changing my compatible audio to Dolby+ of course fixed the issue, which forces DTS to get converted to AAC 5.1 when I play it.

[Original Thread][/url:2yyt64ij]
0 Kudos
97 Replies
Daxproduck
Level 7

Re: Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

Having the same sync issues as everyone else.

When I switch to Dolby digital, audio plays in sync, but for some reason it downmixes to stereo only. Any tips to at least still play in 5.1?
0 Kudos
Pieter3d
Level 7

I can't get it to down mix to 5.1 either. Now I'm questioning if it ever did. I could have sworn it did, was that removed with an update?
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Pretty disappointing. It seems like Roku is simply not going to work for me, but I’m gonna have a hard time returning it since I bought in US while on vacation but love in Canada.

If it could at least play dts as straight up DD5.1, I’d be willing to wait for a fix. But I didn’t invest in a decent sound system to watch movies in stereo.
0 Kudos
Pieter3d
Level 7

Yeah Smiley Sad very strange that they haven't been able to fix this in a year. You think they'd have at least reproduced it and acknowledged the bug.
I've gone back to using my media PC for Plex. I still use the Roku for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

I contacted tech support through email about both DTS sync, and the issue where it won’t fold down to Dolby 5.1, only stereo, and this was the response:

Thanks for contacting Roku Technical Support. Thank you for choosing our product.

Regarding your writing, you have an issue with the DTS files.

For better help you, please send an email to customer.advocate@roku.com

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also visit https://support.roku.com and https://blog.roku.com for more information about our product and channel offerings.

Have a great Sunday!!!

I’ve forwarded this to the email they provided. Not sure why they couldn’t do that for me.

I’ll update here with their response.
0 Kudos
Pieter3d
Level 7

Yes, tech support is useless for this issue.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

After scouring some threads I think I’ve found the stereo issue.

Roku can accept AAC5.1, but instead of passing it along, it decodes it to pcm stereo.

Since roku is telling Plex it accepts AAC, Plex is transcoding to that, rather than ac3, which would be played back in 5.1 as expected.

I’m now trying to find a way to force Plex to serve ac3 to roku, but no luck so far.

Suffice to say I’m pretty disappointed with roku so far.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

"Daxproduck" wrote:
After scouring some threads I think I’ve found the stereo issue.

Roku can accept AAC5.1, but instead of passing it along, it decodes it to pcm stereo.

Since roku is telling Plex it accepts AAC, Plex is transcoding to that, rather than ac3, which would be played back in 5.1 as expected.

I’m now trying to find a way to force Plex to serve ac3 to roku, but no luck so far.

Suffice to say I’m pretty disappointed with roku so far.

Roku used to be great during Roku 3 days when they had 0 competitors. Now all their competitors have products that get regular updates and most just work. At this point Apple and Shield are probably the better options.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Found a workaround I can live with!!!!

Get the old Plex Classic channel: https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/plex-classic

In the audio settings disable dts, but leave ac3 enabled

Dts will now play as Dolby digital and play in sync!

Not a perfect solution, as I do notice a different quality difference between DD and DTS, but I can live with this for now.
0 Kudos