Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

DLNA streaming 5.1 audio no sound, stereo OK

When streaming video files off a DLNA server to a Roku 3 and AVR, files with 5.1 sound have no audio at all. Files with stereo sound work fine.

Setup: Windows PC with MediaMonkey DLNA server, Roku 3 to 4k TV via HDMI, TV to Onkyo AVR via optical cable.

No HDMI port on AVR.

I have remuxed a file with the 5.1 audio track down mixed to stereo, and the file played with audio.

I don't want 5.1 audio, but I do want some audio, hopeful!y without having to remux all my files.

Help?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: DLNA streaming 5.1 audio no sound, stereo OK

You failed to mention the file format they are.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry about that. H264 with AAC audio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Roku players do not support 5.1 AAC audio. See this page for guidance for what codecs are supported. Note that the page mentions that Roku TVs and some Roku players decode 5.1 AAC to PCM stereo, but in reality the only Roku player (non-TV) that supports decoding is the Ultra 4640, which is not the current Ultra available. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

I was afraid of that. Thanks for confirming.

Do you have any recommendation for a UPnP server that would down-mix to stereo on demand? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@anonimmety wrote:

I was afraid of that. Thanks for confirming.

Do you have any recommendation for a UPnP server that would down-mix to stereo on demand? 

My personal preference is Serviio (free and Pro versions), but there are quite a number that will do so. However, I believe that  Disclaimer: I wrote the profiles that Serviio uses for Roku devices and am a forum moderator, but I am not employed by them. I just reviewed the current profiles for Serviio and they all detect multi-channel AAC and transcode to Dolby Digital, so you retain your 5.1 audio. The only exception is the default Roku profile, which I did not create. It only captures AAC audio if the video is MPEG4. But you wouldn't want to use that profile on any player newer than 2016, as it restricts the bitrate for the older players. 

Besides Serviio, Plex and Emby are two popular (and free) servers that also have dedicated Roku apps, so you don't need to use Roku Media Player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos