Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnserr
Level 7

DLNA stopped working with Roku OS 9.,1

Hello. 
I have the playon DLNA server. It used to work reasonably well with Roku. It now will not play any movies. They start and immediately exit. I have checked with other DLNA enabled devices and they work ok. (XBOX ONE, Smart TV).

Playon support says it's a specific issue they have found with ROKU OS 9.1 and that they can do nothing about it on their end.  (I'm using it on a ROKU PREMIERE+)

Any help will be appreciated as I would prefer to continue to use the ROKU client
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: DLNA stopped working with Roku OS 9.1

DLNA works fine on all of my Roku devices, which all now have 9.1. I don't use PlayOn, but my DLNA server works just fine. Are you using the Roku Media Player as your playback app, or something else? I don't accept the answer PlayOn provided you.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
johnserr
Level 7

Re: DLNA stopped working with Roku OS 9.,1

Hi Dan:
You just solved the problem for me. I was using Playon's My Media. Although I'm still using their DLNA server, the Roku Media Player works fine. (even better than their app did before).

Thank you very very much.

Just FYI: Here is what the people at Playon had told me:
[table][tr][td][/td]
PlayOn Support (Bill) (Support Center)
Jun 7, 23:25 EDT
Hi John,

I'm happy to help. We've been able to reproduce this issue. Unfortunately, it's an issue caused by the Roku 9.1.0 update that we cannot currently fix on our end due to changes made by Roku. We'd recommend reporting this issue with the Roku 9.1.0 update to Roku support to see what they can do.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

[/tr]
[/table]
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are seeing here. Over time, as system updates are released, channels may need to be updated by the developer in order to maintain compatibility and functionality with the Roku OS. If a channel developer doesn't update their channel, this may result in the channel no longer functioning correctly. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with more specific details about the exact issue you are seeing, including any server or media file type information that you are encountering an issue with, your Roku account email address, your player's serial number from Settings>System>About, and when you first observed the issue occurring. I'll help forward this information along to the channel developer to request that they investigate their channel for any needed maintenance. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
johnserr
Level 7

Ooops. I spoke too soon.
I'm having trouble playing back .MP4 files. They run for a while and then stop. An error appears saying that it can't play the file. If I try several times it might play parts or it might not, but I can't get a full video to play. Other files seem OK, but most of my files are MP4.
I have sent RokuTannerD my personal info via private message. Thanks to all!!
0 Kudos
barbarosa
Level 7

having exact same problem with playon media player..
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you using the current, public version of the PlayOn channel available here? https://channelstore.roku.com/details/138391/playon

Please provide more information about the specific channel you are using, including specific name displayed on the channel tile, and the version & build of the channel. This can be gathered by navigating to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, and pressing the * key on your remote. 

As a reminder, private channels are not supported by Roku. If the channel you are using is a private, non-certified channel that you've added using an access code, you'll need to contact that channel developer directly to report the problem and request additional support. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos