Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vern1
Level 7

DD on Youtube through my Roku enabled TCL 65R617 + getting my BT headset working

Just got my set and having 2 issues which i believe are related to the Roku OS

1. I have my audio hooked up from my TV to my AVR via an optical cable (my older Yamaha does not have HDMI). The audio settings on the TCL are set at DD and DTS and on Netflix and Amazon Prime I get 5.1 when playing any 5.1 source including HDR and DV. However I only get stereo when I play any 5.1 or HDV source through the Youtube app. Any ideas pls?

2. I have BT headphones. On the roku app on my phone the headphone button has a red strike through it and when i hit it, it say Private listening is not available for this input. When I go to the tab Device, Private Listening and toggle it on, the sound stops on the TV but I can not hear anything on my headphones; sounds like it connects but no sound

Any help appreciate, thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: DD on Youtube through my Roku enabled TCL 65R617 + getting my BT headset working

For your second issue, I don't think you can use Bluetooth headphones, because you're already "streaming" the audio from the Roku device to your phone, and I don't think a second "hop" would allow the audio and video to be in sync.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
vern1
Level 7

Re: DD on Youtube through my Roku enabled TCL 65R617 + getting my BT headset working

Thanks but i have subsequently found out that you can use the BT headphones. The problem was that i was trying to use them when i was watching the cable box and it doesnt work on that input. Once i tried and switched to Netflix or Youtube it worked fine ie the Private Listening only works on the Roku apps which makes sense i guess since it is their app

I suppose if i want to go with my bt headphones for the cable box i would need to get some kind of BT transmitter for the headphone port on the TV but not 100% sure of that. 

Still researching my 1st question though

Cheers
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"vern1" wrote:
Thanks but i have subsequently found out that you can use the BT headphones. The problem was that i was trying to use them when i was watching the cable box and it doesnt work on that input. Once i tried and switched to Netflix or Youtube it worked fine ie the Private Listening only works on the Roku apps which makes sense i guess since it is their app

I suppose if i want to go with my bt headphones for the cable box i would need to get some kind of BT transmitter for the headphone port on the TV but not 100% sure of that. 

Cheers

Does your AVR support DD+ over optical?  Most don't.  Netflix streams their surround via DD+ so if your receiver doesn't support it then you'll get nothing.
0 Kudos
vern1
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
"vern1" wrote:

Cheers

Does your AVR support DD+ over optical?  Most don't.  Netflix streams their surround via DD+ so if your receiver doesn't support it then you'll get nothing.

No it doesnt, just DD and DST. Its an older Yamaha AVR without HDMI. I get something but its just 2 channels. Why would youtube go with such a new(er) format as i am sure lots of people dont have DD+. Guess its not a question for here but doesnt make a lot of sense esp since i get 5.1 for netflix and amazon prime. Oh well, thanks
0 Kudos
vern1
Level 7

I just realized you were talking about Netflix. I do get DD/DV/HDR on Netflix. So whatever they are sending I am getting a 5.1 sound even though my AVR doesnt support DD+

I was not getting 5.1 on YT. Someone else said that YT  only sends a 2 channel output which also doesnt make a lot of sense since it has all kinds of 5.1 content (or at least thats what it says on the videos)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"vern1" wrote:
I just realized you were talking about Netflix. I do get DD/DV/HDR on Netflix. So whatever they are sending I am getting a 5.1 sound even though my AVR doesnt support DD+

I was not getting 5.1 on YT. Someone else said that YT  only sends a 2 channel output which also doesnt make a lot of sense since it has all kinds of 5.1 content (or at least thats what it says on the videos)

Ahh, that's really odd.  I didn't think there were any receivers that would do DD+ over optical.
The youtube thing doesn't surprise me.  Google basically puts Youtube on the Roku just to appease those users.  They have no interest in doing a good job on a competing product.
0 Kudos
vern1
Level 7

Well my AVR is prob 10 years old so I doubt its specific to my Yamaha. I get the same multi channel output on Amazon Prime as well
I just set the audio output to DD and DTS on the TCL settings (vs DD+) and it works

It's just YT that comes in 2 channel

What I dont get is that there is a lot of 5.1 labelled content on YT and if they only output 2 channel then what's the point?
0 Kudos