Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snielsen85
Level 7

DD+/Dolby Atmos problems with Roku Ultra

I just recently purchased a Roku Ultra and having problems (losing audio completely) with Dolby Atmos with Prime Video playing Jack Ryan and DD+ issues in HBO NOW and Showtime. Initially audio works perfectly but, I lose audio if I instant replay, fast forward, or rewind video. If I restart the roku or cycle inputs on my soundbar I regain sound. Dolby Atmos works 100% fine with VUDU movies (Spiderman into the spiderverse, Wonder Woman, and Spiderman Homecoming) and DD+ works 100% fine with Netflix. I have the roku setup as follows: Roku Ultra to HDMI 1 on Samsung HW-K850 to HDMI 4 on Samsung KS8000 TV. UHD enabled on HDMI 4 port. Roku Settings with video set to auto (allows 4k 60Hz HDR) , sound out set to auto. I have tried to force DD+ or DD+/DTS in settings with no improvement. If I switch to DD/DTS output only I have zero audio problems. I tried roku online support and samsung support with no resolution. I have found if I switch video to output 1080P only I have no issues with DD+. The Soundbar is capable of 4k HDR pass through. i have purchased new High Speed Amazon basic HDMI cables with no improvement. I have searched the forums and noticed their might be DD+ issues with AVR's. If anyone has a similar setup and found a way to fix it I would appreciate your advice. Thanks in Advance. 
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DD+/Dolby Atmos problems with Roku Ultra

Thanks for the note here! A couple additional questions about the issue you're seeing: 

- Have you tried removing the Prime Video channel, restarting your Roku Ultra from Settings>System>System restart, then adding the channel back again afterward? Does this have any effect? 
- Do you see the same issue on all titles in the Prime Video channel? 
- To test, have you tried connecting your Roku to the TV, then routing the audio to your receiver/soundbar via HDMI ARC? Do you observe the same issue? 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and device serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll take a closer look to see how else we can help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
snielsen85
Level 7

I have tried deleting and re-adding channels. I factory reset the roku once and factory reset the soundbar. My TV only passes through DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 so I can't check DD+ pass through. For some reason it doesn't like DD+ at 4k no matter what 4k settings are enabled. Like i said in the previous post if I switch it to 1080p I have no DD+ problems. It's like when I fast forward or rewind their is no buffering and it's not sending audio anymore, but video is fine. I have it connected to ethernet cable currently. I'm just trying to find out if their is like a known issue of DD+/Dolby Atmos not playing nice when passing through the soundbar first?
0 Kudos
Tdidi
Level 7

Any update to this issue? I have tried 2 different Roku devices with the same results. No Atmos, if I factory reset, I'll get it but after a while it's gone again
paraprax
Level 7

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Sound is fine until fast-forwarding when display is set to 4k. No issues at all when set to 1080p. Cables are not the issue, as I've tried multiple HDMI 2.1 cables.

Roku Ultra (4660X)

Software version 9.2.0 (build 4750-46)

0 Kudos
zero62377
Level 7

Same issue here. Any updates? Initially I thought this issue would get fixed with firmware updates. But I guess Roku doesn't wanna address the problem.
0 Kudos
Cguess27
Level 7

Same issue here. Hasn't gotten better.....
0 Kudos

I have experienced the same problem with the newly released HDR Roku. I have a LG TV and I think what you need to do is go into the picture settings for HDR and play around with what is being output. I noticed that when I downgraded the 4K content the atmos worked without being lost as soon as you used the fast forward to reimwind. Let me know by emailing me on errnadsyouhate@gmail.com if this trick works? Sorry not sure if I'll be able to find this page again to see someone's reply. But I'm curious to see of this resolves the issue. Est of luck folks.
0 Kudos