Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Content is extremely dark - set-up or channel (or user) issue?

I just purchased and set up a Roku Ultra within the last week.  Previously I would watch Netflix through my Blu-ray player and it would default to HD in 1080p.  After setting up the Roku, I tried watching Netflix through the Roku and it was extremely dark.  The same thing happened last night when I tried to watch Disney+, and it appeared in each instance the channels defaulted to HDR.  At this point I am flummoxed, partially due to not being as knowledgeable about this as I probably should be, and I'm not sure if this is a set-up error, a channel error, or an ID10T error.

My current set-up is Roku connected to an AVR connected to a projector as further described below.  Everything is connected using HDMI cables.  I haven't confirmed they're branded "premium" but in the past I've been able to watch 4K content through my Amazon Fire TV cube.

Roku:  Roku Ultra, SN YJ00DE076227, software 9.2.0 build 4131-46.  The display type is currently set on auto detect.  I tried changing it to 4K/60Hz but the screen would go blank, time out, and revert back to auto detect.  This is repeatable, as is the dark content.

AVR:  Marantz SR5011 (purchased in 2016, I think).  I updated its firmware last night, and I am trying to confirm that with the last firmware whether it can pass HDR content to the projector.

Projector:  JVC DLA-X570R (purchased in 2016, I think).  I have not updated its firmware and I am trying to confirm what resolution it can handle.  It's my understanding that out of the box it could handle 4K/60Hz but I'm not sure if firmware updates change that.

I think I've noted everything.  I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.  I'm just not sure how to work through this issue (though my default is always user error...).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Content is extremely dark - set-up or channel (or user) issue?

Update:  Well, let's chalk this one up to user issues.  It looks like everything is handling HDR correctly, which was my first concern.  I didn't realize there were some "picture mode" settings for the projector which needed to be adjusted; previously everything just worked without modification.  I still have some additional tweaking, but for now the picture for the two channels I referenced is pretty good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Content is extremely dark - set-up or channel (or user) issue?

I wouldn't go that far. I'm currently having the same problem with my Roku stick and it's literally just everything to do with the Roku. We set it up this morning the picture and brightness was perfectly normal while we blasted through The Mandalorian, and then an hour later it was like some unknown force turned the brightness down on the television. At first, I thought "maybe it's the stick messing with the TV," but when I switched it over to our regular cable the brightness was normal. 

So, it's definitely got something to do with the stick. I think you've just troubleshot it, by adjusting your projector's display setting to accommodate the problem, but it's possibly still there.

I sure would like to know what's causing this, though.

0 Kudos