Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffbrandie
Channel Surfer

Constantly getting overheating message

I have a Roku Premiere and this morning we started getting a overheating message. I have moved the Roku to different locations and I even left it off for a few hours. Within 15 minutes of turning it back on I was getting the overheating message again. I have a fan blowing on the Roku unit and it seems to work as long as the fan is on. The Roku will get very hot to the touch. We installed Apple TV last night and I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Model: 3920X

SN: K428A0905640

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Constantly getting overheating message

@jeffbrandie

Thanks for the post and providing me with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jeffbrandie
Channel Surfer

I appreciate you doing that. I have been contacted and they are sending us a replacement unit.

0 Kudos
KGfroerer

I am having the exact same issue. Mine has always been out front where air circulates well. I can't leave it plugged in because it overheats without even being on. It takes about 15 minutes to overheat once plugged in.  

sn--K450CC054472

Model--Roku Premiere

0 Kudos
jeffbrandie
Channel Surfer

I sent an email to customer support (put down that I had a 4K stick on the customer service page so I could actually send an email). I put down my exact initial post in the email and they are sending us a free replacement.

I was shocked and happy. You might give it a try and see what happens...

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KGfroerer,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.
For more information visit our Support page here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” warning | Official Roku ... 

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team to assist you further in this problem.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TV-Watcher

I bought my Roku Premiere in February 2021 & it had been working great until last month, when I started getting the overheating message! I can unplug it for a few hours & within minutes of using it, I'll get the overheating message again. My unit has never been in the sun, nor has it ever been inside of a TV unit. It sits on a shelf next to the TV, in the open.

The overheating has gotten so bad that, like you, I've started putting a mini battery operated fan next to it to blow directly on the Roku unit and that does work; however, once the fan dies, the Roku device begins to overheat again. This is ridiculous!

Until now, I was such a fan that I ended up buying 2 other Roku devices (stick+ & express 4k+) & got family members to purchase devices. Now I'm worried about these devices starting a fire in my house & am wondering if it's time to get rid of everything Roku!

Model: 3920X

SN: K430C3460115 (on unit - Device ID)

SN: YH003D460115 (shown on TV)

Software Version: 11.5.0 * build 4235-91

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @TV-Watcher

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos