Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ike12
Level 7

Constant HDCP purple screen. Really its enough

I have 5 Rokus in my house, I love them. I have one single main family room Samsung 65" Quantum Dot 4K HDR and I am so sick and tired of unplugging the Roku every single day due to purple screen. These cables are in my wall (I had two placed in just to be safe) regardless if they connect direct to Receiver or Roku, it still happens. These are also rather expensive cables way more than I wanted to spend but since they were going in the wall I wanted to be safe... No other media device I use on this 4K tv gives me grief, other than my Roku 4K...

PLEASE HELP!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
mike_s
Level 8

Re: Constant HDCP purple screen. Really its enough

Just as a test, move the Roku so it's close enough to the TV that you can use a short (like 3 foot) HDMI High Speed cable. Try it that way. The only time I've had the HDCP purple screen was when I had cable problems. 

Exactly what cable(s) do you have, and how long are they?
0 Kudos
dizzbuster
Level 7

As much as I hate to say it the 4k Roku's are sensitive to cables. 
0 Kudos
ike12
Level 7

There is now way that's an acceptable answer for Roku at this moment.
I have tried 2 expensive cables, 2 Rocket Fish cables, 2 Generic cables , ranging from 2' - 15'

I did try to manually select 4k @ 30Hz and have not seen the issue since (only been 24hrs) but this still sucks as Roku 4K HDR means its a LIE.. If removing HDR is the answer then its all BS and im done with Rokus. 
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

If you want to try 4K60 again, you can also try switching between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 subsampling. Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR subsampling. While 4:2:0 should be the most compatible setting, I've seen reports that some TVs are more stable with 4:2:2.
0 Kudos
Deckard_9732
Level 7

Hi ... Every TV setup is different with the Roku Ultra ... If you go to the HDMI Secret Screen ( HOME 5x / DOWN / LEFT / UP 3x) it will tell you what is supported with the TV brand and current Hdmi Cable installed. In my case I have a Samsung 4k UHD HDR TV which is capable of 12-bit Color @ 4:2:2 but my Roku Ultra will only display 10-bit Color @ 4:2:0 at either 60 fps or 30 fps ... Tried calling customer service to update unit to support full HDR with 12-bit Color @ 4:2:2 but the trouble ticket was transferred to technical support with no response. I hope this helps :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Different TVs can sure work differently. My Samsung JU7100 will not display a stable picture at 4:2:0. I don't get the purple screen, but it's unwatchable because of the screen flashing. On 4:2:2 it's perfectly stable. In the past 4:2:0 worked fine, and was in fact preferred to reduce color banding.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ike12
Level 7

Ok thanks for reply, wish a Roku tech would reply but go figure.. so I get the issue still constantly. its making my PSVue unwatchable. Might as well ditch Roku and go back to cable..
I have never seen this"seret menu" the actual thought of a secret menu is so ludicrous anyhow.  

I changed it to 4K @ 30/60 manually and now when going between screens such as hitting back, menu, whatever it is, it is so so delayed. hit back wait 5 seconds of black screen, show comes on, hit back to change channel, wait 5-10 more seconds of black screen..
this is all a mess.  what a POS
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

The menu to change the color sampling (4:2:2) is no longer hidden. You can find it under Settings/System/Advanced System Settings.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ike12
Level 7

This is serious BS... how can ROKU support not admit this issue and FIX IT ALREADY... I cannot believe the issues I am having and clearly not even close to the only one. I cut the cord a year ago and love it, however just this past month 4 people have asked me how to do it and I told ALL FOUR not to get a ROKU.. this is absolute BS... Amazon 4k here I come
0 Kudos