Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JavyJav
Reel Rookie

Choppy video streaming ESPN, Sling TV, UFC PPV

Jump to solution

Video play is choppy when streaming ESPN, UFC ppv, and Sling tv. Roku shows excellent connection. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JAC1099

Re: Choppy video streaming ESPN, Sling TV, UFC PPV

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with zero resolution from the recommended fixes. However,  changing the display from Auto to 4k @60Hz has resolved the issue. Although both the player and cable are rated for HDR @ 60Hz, this is the only thing that has fixed the issue. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JavyJav,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If you experience low-quality video or rebuffering on a regular basis across multiple channels:

If you continue to see poor video quality or rebuffering, restart your Roku device.

• To restart your Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart.
  • To restart your Roku TV, go to Settings > System > Power > System restart.
  • You can also unplug your Roku device from the power source and plug it back in.

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
JavyJav
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice but my internet network is good and I've spoken with roku troubleshooting technicians about this issue and they walked me through every possible fix with no results. Roku engineers are looking into the problem and are going to get back to me. 

0 Kudos
drev0013
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. I have a fast internet connection, and all of my other Roku apps work without issue. ESPN and ESPN Plus content is incredibly choppy and unwatchable.

I've reset the system several times, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, and all the other basic remedies listed online without any luck. I'd love to hear if this gets solved.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @drev0013

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Just to confirm, did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order, we would recommend giving it a shot once again. You can check this Support link for detailed instructions: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Moreover, if the issue persists, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach ESPN support here

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
drev0013
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuKariza-D,

Yes, I did restart the system before reinstalling, and the video is still unwatchable. I'll reach out to ESPN, but after doing more research, this seems to be a known issue with few solutions.

Thanks.

JAC1099

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with zero resolution from the recommended fixes. However,  changing the display from Auto to 4k @60Hz has resolved the issue. Although both the player and cable are rated for HDR @ 60Hz, this is the only thing that has fixed the issue. 

drev0013
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Changing the display to 60 hz at 4K without HDR seems to have worked for me. Thanks for the fix!!                      

GW1990

Jump to solution

THANK YOU!!  This saved my day.  ESPN Plus was choppy video, but the audio was fine.  Other apps (like YouTubeTV) were fine. So I knew it wasn’t an internet bandwidth issue. Just wasn’t sure if it was a problem with ESPN Plus or Roku.  Your solution worked perfectly for me, and not something I ever would have thought of.  To be clear, the video setting you need to change from Auto to 4K @ 60 Hz is under Roku settings, not ESPN Plus settings.

Jump to solution

Changing the display to 60 hz at 4K without HDR seems to have worked for me. Thanks!