Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doorjam
Level 8

Change from Premiere to Ultra results in poorer picture quality on 1080 HDTV

I have been using Premiere for a while and started using YouTube TV a few weeks ago.  I've been pleased with the picture quality (this will finally allow me to get rid of cable) but decided to upgrade to Ultra to get the TV controls on the remote and get faster menu response time.  I know Ultra works with 4K TVs but my TV is just 1080p HDTV which Ultra is supposed to work with.  But when I connected it (using the same HDMI cable and port as Premiere), the picture is not as clear.  The colors are darker which is okay but the picture is not as crisp.  I used auto display set up and the Ultra chose 1080p.  I'm primarily watching YouTube TV and have the issue on every channel I've tried, including local news.  Anyone know why the picture wouldn't be as good?  Every article I've read explains why the person may not be seeing things in 4K or HDR quality but I wasn't expecting that since I don't have that type of TV.  I expected it to be as good as Premiere just speedier.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Change from Premiere to Ultra results in poorer picture quality on 1080 HDTV

Yes, the Ultra should look just as good as the Premiere. I have an Ultra and a Premiere on two different TV, one a 4K and one a 720p set. They both appear the same to my eye. And before I recently upgraded the TV to 4K the Ultra was on a 1080 plasma. They only time the image looked poor was playing some HDR material from my server. Since the TV couldn't process the HDR data, but had a dull look. 

There are some additional video settings on the Ultra, but I'm not certain if they appear if connected to a 1080 set. Look under the Settings/System/Advanced Display settings and see if any are available to try. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bob9
Level 7

Re: Change from Premiere to Ultra results in poorer picture quality on 1080 HDTV

I'm having the same type of issue but with different components. I have a 1080p plasma TV connected to cable and the picture is fine. When I connect my Roku 3 (yes an older model) and watch the same channel as with cable, the picture is dull ..... the colors seem to be washed out! I've tried setting the Roku display setting to both 720p and 1080p with no improvement.  Did you solve your problem and if yes, what did you change?

Bob

0 Kudos
doorjam
Level 8

I played with the display settings but I didn't see any change.  Basically, my eyes adjusted to the way Ultra displays.  It's not bad, it just seemed less crisp than Premiere.  It is still significantly better than cable.  My TV is over 8 years old so it's possible that the Ultra is geared to work better with newer TVs. 

0 Kudos