Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yonkiman
Level 7

Center Channel Volume Too Low

On my Roku 3, connected to my receiver via HDMI, I've noticed that on the channels I use the most (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Google Play), the center channel is too quiet relative to left, right, and surround.  Makes it harder to hear dialog over the SFX and music.

My sound system is fine - I calibrated it via my receiver and I don't have this problem with Blu Rays.  I could compensate if my receiver let me have different channel balances for different A/V inputs, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
tuckerdogavl
Level 7

Re: Center Channel Volume Too Low

Yes, so what's the answer/ There seems to be tons of people asking? I was about to attempt to call tech. On a scale of 1 - 90 for the sound, when watching a tv program it's around 45-50... if there's a mumbly movie (typical after about 1998) then maybe 57.... to watch anything through Roku, I have to crank to 75-80, sometimes 85-90 and even then depending on the way the sound was created... either we are blown away by music and sfx and have to crank it down, then back up to listen to mumbling actors, or it's bad sound across the board. Watching an old movie or a movie on tv not through Roku, sound is fine. The "Home theatre system" goes through the BluRay and to change settings on the system I have to choose "bluRay" to get access... so I've always wondered if any of these changes have any affect on anything if I'm not playing a DVD? 
0 Kudos
yonkiman
Level 7

I never found a solution. Except to put my receiver in mono. Dialog sounds good in mono.

Very disappointed that this hasn’t been addressed.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Yonkiman, does your avr decode dolby digital plus? If not, it may be that the source is being downsampled.
Tuckerdogavi, you have your avr run into your bluray, or the other way around? All sources should run to avr, then out to tv. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
yonkiman
Level 7

Well the receiver (Onkyo HT-RC180) displays "Dolby Digital Plus" on its display, and we're getting full surround sound, so my AVR seems to be designed to decode DD+.  However I think the Roku is the only device that has ever sent it DD+, so it's possible there's a flaw in the AVR's decoding.  I'll see if I can find anything along those lines...
0 Kudos