Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyme2brn
Level 7

Cast YouTube drops connection

Starting about a week ago when I cast YouTube from my Android phone, as usual, the connection drops in under a couple minutes. Won't stay connected.

Did factory reset.

Restarted router and phone. 

2 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Cast YouTube drops connection

@Tyme2brn wrote:

Starting about a week ago when I cast YouTube from my Android phone, as usual, the connection drops in under a couple minutes. Won't stay connected.

Did factory reset.

Restarted router and phone. 

Its not clear whether you are casting (phone YT app controls Roku YT app) or screen mirroring (entire phone screen is shared to Roku screen) YT from your phone to your Roku.

1) If casting, the connection between the phone and the Roku is pretty minimal, though the connection between the Roku YT app and the YT servers is pretty maximal - if this is the case, its not clear which connection you are referring to (phone to Roku or Roku to YT).

2) If mirroring, the connection between the phone and the Roku is pretty maximal, and connection between the phone YT and the YT servers is pretty maximal as well - if this is the case, its also not clear which connection you are referring to (phone to Roku or phone to YT)

If you are mirroring instead of casting, I highly recommend you try casting instead.  In either case you should consider switching to a 5Ghz connection on either side (phone or Roku) if available - or to 2.4Ghz if currently on 5Ghz, and see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
mpayne
Level 7

Re: Cast YouTube drops connection

I have been having the same connection issues with YT dropping after a few minutes. 

The other apps on the Roku stream without an issue. It's only on YouTube does the problem occur. 

I've done a factory reset, I've removed and reinstalled the app. Still drops. 

I will try casting from a mobile device and after a few minutes it goes to the home page. Or, when manually going through the app with the remote for my TV (not the remote on the phone/tablet) will the issue still occur. 

It's becoming quite annoying as it takes forever for YT to load and when I go to resume what I was watching, it resumes playback and then stops again. 

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

0 Kudos