Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
korhoden
Reel Rookie

Cannot wake Roku Express (3900X)

Jump to solution

Model Number: 3900X
Software Version: 9.4.0.4210

Symptoms:

• There is no video output to my television
  • The Roku does not respond to the remote
  • The light on the front of the Roku is solid

This happens when it has not been used for several hours and is only resolved by:

• Disconnecting the power for 10 seconds before reconnecting it, or
  • Pressing the RESET button on the back of the Roku.

Edit: The Roku is plugged into the wall via a 5V USB adapter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot wake Roku Express (3900X)

Jump to solution

@korhoden wrote:

Thank you for your feedback, DB. I am currently using a 5V Roku USB power adapter that’s plugged into the wall.

Even when I am getting no video from it, the light on the front is on. Very strange.

I did pick up about the light from your post. @makaiguy likely did too. The reason we asked anyway if that it's possible that the TV USB may be providing enough power for it to light, but not enough to properly allow it always fully function. However, as you're using the power supply, that's ruled out.

Since it's the Express, it came with an IR remote. I assume you've already ensured that there are no obstructions to the line of sight between the end of the remote and the front of the Express, but it may be worth verifying. I expect there are none, but again, just ruling out the things that can happen.

Next thing to check would the the screen saver. Some apps come with a screen saver that's installed. Not may will do this, but some do. Weather apps in particular will pull this stunt. Not all, but some, and enough that I know to look into that possibility.

Remove any weather or news based apps that include screen savers. If you aren't sure, then look at the installed screen savers on your device. Settings > Theme > Screensavers.

Are there any that look news or weather based. If so, remove those apps.

Are there any apart from the standard ones -- digital clock, analog clock, any that say Roku -- then look at them. If the developer isn't Roku, remove it/them.

Set your default as one of the clocks for simplicity and see if the problem remains. My feeling is that it will go away, meaning a screen saver is the problem. That's the most likely non-power reason for issues with awakening.

If that doesn't resolve anything, let us know.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Is your Express powered via plugging into a USB port on your tv?  Many TV USB ports power down when you turn off the TV.  Consequently it must boot up each time you turn on the TV and the USB port re-energizes.  If the TV boots up and checks the HDMI port before the Roku is ready to communicate, you can get the symptoms you describe.

You can probably recover faster by just switching the TV to a different input and back to the Roku's HDMI port, this forcing the TV to check the port again.

If you plug the Roku into house power via the power converter that came with it, instead of into the TV USB port, you should eliminate the problem in the first place.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

That is very unexpected behavior.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is the power source. Are you plugging the Roku into the provided power supply? Or are you connecting it to the USB port on the TV?

If you're using the TV, try the power supply and see if the behavior continues.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
korhoden
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback, DB. I am currently using a 5V Roku USB power adapter that’s plugged into the wall.

Even when I am getting no video from it, the light on the front is on. Very strange.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@korhoden wrote:

I did pick up about the light from your post. @makaiguy likely did too. The reason we asked anyway if that it's possible that the TV USB may be providing enough power for it to light, but not enough to properly allow it always fully function. However, as you're using the power supply, that's ruled out.

Since it's the Express, it came with an IR remote. I assume you've already ensured that there are no obstructions to the line of sight between the end of the remote and the front of the Express, but it may be worth verifying. I expect there are none, but again, just ruling out the things that can happen.

Next thing to check would the the screen saver. Some apps come with a screen saver that's installed. Not may will do this, but some do. Weather apps in particular will pull this stunt. Not all, but some, and enough that I know to look into that possibility.

Remove any weather or news based apps that include screen savers. If you aren't sure, then look at the installed screen savers on your device. Settings > Theme > Screensavers.

Are there any that look news or weather based. If so, remove those apps.

Are there any apart from the standard ones -- digital clock, analog clock, any that say Roku -- then look at them. If the developer isn't Roku, remove it/them.

Set your default as one of the clocks for simplicity and see if the problem remains. My feeling is that it will go away, meaning a screen saver is the problem. That's the most likely non-power reason for issues with awakening.

If that doesn't resolve anything, let us know.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
korhoden
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only ones listed under My Screensavers are:

• Roku Digital Clock
  • Roku Analog Clock
  • Logo Rain (Roku)
  • City Stroll Movie Magic (Roku)

It was set to use City Stroll. I have changed it to the Digital Clock. The screensaver came as expected. I keep going back to that input every hour or so, and it is still showing the digital clock. I will check again after leaving it overnight, but it seems like it might have been an issue with the City Stroll screensaver?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AFTommy

cannot find proper remote for 3900x

Jump to solution

I cannot find proper remote for ROKU 3900x. I can find a thousand other remotes with "r" and other letters but no "x". I have already bought two remotes that say they will work, but they don't. It is not a stick, the unit is about 1" x 3 1/4" x 3/4", black and the only discerning information (written in black also) is 3900x 4k+. It is not voice controllable and has NO pairing button in battery tray. I have tried the 5v power adapter in the wall and have tried connecting into Samsung USB port on back of TV. I do get a light (white or light blue) on front of ROKU unit. The only images I get on the screen are the dancing R-O-K-U letters and then a menu board with options on the left and channel icons on the right of the screen but no control or selection capable is capable.

Please HELP

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: cannot find proper remote for 3900x

Jump to solution

The letters after the model number are immaterial, so that's not your problem.  If you've tried multiple remotes and none of them work then it sounds like the IR sensor in the 3900 is bad (or it's blocked).  The 3900 came out in 2017, so it may be failing.  You can try a voice remote that doesn't use IR, but the expense probably isn't worth it to keep any 5+ year old Express device alive.  Assuming it's connected to your Wi-Fi, try the Roku app on your phone as a remote:

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos