Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frisbee68
Level 7

Can't get past home screen.

I have four Rokus in my home.  Three work fine.

The fourth is a basic Roku Streaming Stick.  It has worked fine for some time, but lately it (via the remote) works enough to turn on Roku to the home page (the "street-scape" page, not the page with channel selections or settings or anything.  At that point, it freezes and I can't get to the next page (the one with choices of channel, add channel, settings, etc.)  I changed out the TV, so I know it's not a problem with the television.  Is it the stick or remote or something else.  Ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Can't get past home screen.

Could be the stick, could be the power supply.  If you have another USB power adapter you can try give it a shot.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Can't get past home screen.

@Frisbee68 wrote:

I have four Rokus in my home.  Three work fine.

The fourth is a basic Roku Streaming Stick.  It has worked fine for some time, but lately it (via the remote) works enough to turn on Roku to the home page (the "street-scape" page, not the page with channel selections or settings or anything.  At that point, it freezes and I can't get to the next page (the one with choices of channel, add channel, settings, etc.)  I changed out the TV, so I know it's not a problem with the television.  Is it the stick or remote or something else.  Ideas?

The stick does not power down unless its power is removed, so when your TV starts displaying the HDMI port to which the Streaming Stick is connected, it will show whatever is being displayed at the time by the Roku -- with no initial involvement from the remote. 

The Street Scape page is one of the screens savers.  The Roku won't go to a screen saver when powering up, it will go to the Home page, so this shows your Roku has not been powered down and the screen saver it what it has been displaying all along.  If you can't move off this, it suggests a control problem between the remote and the stick.  The most likely possibilities are:

• Dead batteries in the remote.
  • The point-anywhere remotes used by current Roku sticks connect by wifi-remote and must be paired to your specific Roku device.  If somehow it has become unpaired, it will need to be re-paired to your Roku.  Video from Roku re how to pair a point-anywhere remote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8 
    Note that in some cases it may be necessary to unplug power to the Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in and let it finish booting up in order to make it respond to the pairing request from the remote.
  • Your remote could be dead and need to be replaced.
  • Your stick itself could be dead and need to be replaced.

In the meanwhile, if you have an Apple or Android phone or tablet that can connected to your home network, as long as your Roku is already connected to the same network, you can install the Roku app on your device and control your Roku with that.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos