Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Can't Get 4k + Dolby Vision on Sony A9G Master

Jump to solution

Just got the new Ultra and set it up to play on my Sony XBR-65A9G Master OLED through a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver.

I am unable to get 4k and Dolby Vision simultaneously from the ROKU. The unit will configure 4k/60p without Dolby Vision or it will configure Dolby Vision at 1080p only.

I know the TV can support the 4k + DV combination because my Ultra HD player feeds it as does my Fire TV 4k.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Can't Get 4k + Dolby Vision on Sony A9G Master

Jump to solution

So here is the issue:

I was feeding the ROKU signal through the HDMI jack on the AVR labeled "VIDEO1".  Turns out that is the only port that doesn't support anything beyond 9gb bandwidth!  DOH!

Plugging into any of the other jacks works just fine!

(This is indeed documented in the Sony docs, if you get that far.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Sony is into quality as such with the rest of your gear.

You need to speak with @Tivoburkee  and or @atc98092 

Theyll be along.....

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

I have zero experience with Dolby Vision. The LG set I just bought does support it, but my AVR doesn't. From what I've heard from other posters on other forums, DV can be touchy with some Sony products, although I believe that was mostly devices that were from 2017 or before. Both of yours appear to be more recent, so I wouldn't expect them to have issues. 

It's possible your HDMI cable isn't satisfying the bandwidth requirement for 4K/60 HDR. It has to be a certified 18 Gbps cable to support that requirement. So that's the first thing I'd try. That tripped me up when I replaced my Roku 4 with the original Ultra. My cable worked fine on the 4, but would not work with the Ultra at 4K/60. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I specifically wired it with a 48 gig wire!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NTWGYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is part of a 3-pack., one of which is doing the 4k/dv to the disc player.  But as a double-check, I can swap the wires.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

What's worse is that if I force the ROKU to 4K without DV, the next time I turn it on, it reverts to 1080p with DV.  I can set it back each time I turn it on, but that's just on the borderline of unusability.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here with my 2016 LG OLED E65. All LG OLED's prior to 2018 or 2017 only supported Dolby Vision 4K at 30hz. The Roku Ultra 4800R is forcing me to Dolby Vision at 1080p/60hz, and the picture is worse than regular 4K. I have set mine manually to 4K/60hz and not sure if it's resetting back to DV though. I do wish that they would just quickly fix Dolby Vision to support 4K at 30hz, which is still better than HDR10 for movies, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

While I of course don't have the new Ultra, my current Ultras allow setting the display at 4K/30. Is that not available on the 4800, at least with the displays you're using?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

It will recognize my 4K/60 and allow me to set it, but then it resets it the next time I turn it on to 1080p/DV.

I can change the TV to something other than DV, but the picture is noticeably not as good and as I posted earlier, Fire TV doesn't have this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Sounds like they have some fine tuning for DV that will have to be done. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

And soon, I hope!

0 Kudos