Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
feistmann
Level 7

Can I fast forward recordings with Ultra less than 15 seconds?

Even second by second if I am looking for something?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I fast forward recordings with Ultra less than 15 seconds?

The FF interval is controlled by each individual channel. Roku themselves have no control over it, and there's no setting in the menu that is used as a default. To my knowledge, there is no channel that provides such configuration. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
feistmann
Level 7

I don't think that's correct.  I'm trying Roku with an Ultra remote as a potential way to "cut the cable", but I still have Direct TV.  I've recorded the same shows with both, You Tube TV with Roku and Direct TV.  When I replay on Direct TV, I can fast forward very slowly, or up to 15 minutes at a click.  With Roku Ultra, the slowest increment is every 15 seconds.  I can go faster, but not slower.

I thought maybe the issue was with You Tube TV, but when I bring up the same You Tube TV recordings on my PC, I have more options than with either Roku or Direct TV.  I can put the  cursor wherever I want, and therefore move ahead (or back) as much or as little as I wish.

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can't compare different devices. What works in one may or may not work in another, even if it's the same provider (YouTubeTV). With a Roku player you have no control of the FF interval. It's hard coded into each channel, and unless each channel offers its own internal settings, you get what you get. Perhaps a channel has it coded to speed up the interval if you hold the button. But there's no setting in the Roku itself to alter the interval. 

Dan

0 Kudos
berggie
Level 7

Same Issue but not channel related, it is Roku model-related. Example: I try to watch the French Open tennis in a 10.5 hour recording. I watch 4 hours, then come back to watch the last part, later. On my Roku Ultra (less than 1 year old), I have to right arrow 4 time per minute time 240 minutes, or 960 "clicks", to get back to where I left off. (And no, "Pause" doesn't work.) If I go into my office and watch the remainder of the recorded session on my 3-year old Roku Premier+, I just hold down the right arrow and the recording flies through until I get past the 1st 4 hours.  This just SUCKS, I am getting carpal tunnel in my thumb! How could Roku miss adding Fast Forward to their premier model. If I am missing something with the Ultra, someone please let me know.

0 Kudos
renojim

What channel are you using to watch this and why doesn't it save the position where you left off?  Instead of using the right arrow, have you tried Fast Forward (>>)?

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can't fault Roku for functionality that is lacking within any channel other than The Roku Channel or Roku Media Player. They don't develop any other channels, so can't make something function within them. So yeah, what channel are you watching the French Open on? If it's not TRC, then your complaint is with someone other than Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos
berggie
Level 7

I guess someone is actually watching these. I posted a similar complaint a week ago and now, with no change on my part, FAST FORWARD WORKS ON MY ULTRA! Whoopie, no more carpal tunnel in my "clicker finger"

berggie

0 Kudos