Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xq36
Level 7

CBS all access audio garbled on headphones using roku remote

My current TV, Roku, headphones, and remote were all working perfectly until about six weeks ago (not sure when things went south).  Now when I listen to the tv using my headphones connected to the  Roku remote headset port, I get garbled audio mostly when listening to CBS all-access content. and always with JAG and Star Trek NextGen.  

my set up is

Roku Ultra connected with HDMI cable to TV

new Samsung 55"  4k UHDtv

basic wired headphones (these headphones can SOMETIMES hear content on NON CBS-AA channels

OTHER HEADPHONES PLUGGED INTO THE ROKU REMOTE HAVE THE SME GARBLED AUDIO PROBLEM AS DESCRIBED above

I can usually hear the soundtrack/music through headphones fine, but I cannot even understand conversations /dialog. One possible clue is that it seems that music seems to be so loud that it overpowers the dialog.

if I unplug the headphones, everything sounds fine through the TV speakers, even on CBS-AA. 

These headphones work ok sometimes other content, but I like CBAS -AA SHOWS ALOT. (except for ST DISCOVERY)

If it was a problem with the CBS all access STREAMING SOURCE, iT WOULD NOT sound ok through the iPhone app-bluetooth set up.

Things ARE consistently terrible using headphones on CBS-AA content though, and that is what I need to fix the most.

As a test, I ran the Roku app on my iPhone and paired a set of Bluetooth headphones to it.it works well that way, but neither my phone nor my headset has enough battery to last through a 2 hr movie.

f it was a problem with the CBS all access STREAMING SOURCE, iT WOULD NOT sound ok through the iPhone app-Bluetooth set up/ right?

My only theory is that the headphone jack on the roku remote is going bad or that the remote is going bad.  . Through all my testing, I feel I have ruled out most everything but the roku remote. Is it possible just to get a new compatible remote without having to buy an entirely new roku? Or is that what I have to do?

Without knowing what the problem is, I don't have any way of knowing if buying a new Roku will fix the problem.

One possible clue is that that background music seems to be so loud that it overpowers the dialog some of the time. is that a problem with Left or Right input /output or , Stereo settings somewhere? of course, when I can hear the dialog, it seems low volume and garbled.

Is there something else I should try?

Please give me some ideas to try. The headphones are essential as I watch TV mostly at night when everybody else is asleep.

Thanks, 

ready to give up - almost. 

0 Kudos