Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coyote2
Level 10

Re: Build 8.0.1.4018 on 2016 Ultra: Screeching Audio at Start of Stream

"2ka" wrote:
I can confirm that this can be resolved using a $20 HDMI audio extractor such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY ... UTF8&psc=1.  The problem is confined  to the TOSLINK output on the Ultra.  You can instead connect the HDMI output of the Ultra to the extractor (and then through to the TV), and connect the TOSLINK output of the extractor to your audio system.  Transoded audio still works using the HDMI port.

I can also confirm that Roku pulled the Dolby transcoding feature off their 2017 Ultra model, for some benighted reason.  The 2016 model is your only choice if you want to do DD+ to DD transcoding.

Did using an HDMI audio extractor work for anyone for whom (like me, unfortunately), the problem is NOT "confined  to the TOSLINK output on the Ultra"?  (I'm guessing not, but I've tried everything else so I had to ask.)  Yes, by this I do mean that I get the unbearable screech via HDMI (to my TV, and then my TV's optical output to my soundbar).
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

Any update Roku? The audio problems with the ultra have been terrible. My first Roku purchase and likely my last given how long it takes to fix issues introduced in the latest software.
0 Kudos
Endlessknight
Level 7

Having the same issues with my Roku

Model: 4640X
Software version: 8.0.1 Build 4042-29

The problem seems to go away if I switch the audio setting to "auto" but then files with only DTS tracks have no sound. The main reason I upgraded to the ultra was so I could use the optical out to play DTS tracks thus this is not an ideal solution. 

Does anyone know of a guide online that explains the Roku audio settings? The on screen explanations are very poor. 
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 10

To my previous posts I add:  this screech is so unbearable that it makes my Ultra unusable, far more painful than enjoyable.  It would be unacceptable if Roku is not working very hard to fix this by the earliest possible moment.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 10

"coyote2" wrote:
To my previous posts I add:  this screech is so unbearable that it makes my Ultra unusable, far more painful than enjoyable.  It would be unacceptable if Roku is not working very hard to fix this by the earliest possible moment.

That is the problem with Roku. Lots of issues lately, no responses from Roku on if they going to fix said problems, then the timeline to fix the problems if they do is slow, then the rollout of said fix is even slower, then the next version they break fixed problem again.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 10

"hackztor" wrote:
That is the problem with Roku. Lots of issues lately, no responses from Roku on if they going to fix said problems, then the timeline to fix the problems if they do is slow, then the rollout of said fix is even slower, then the next version they break fixed problem again.

Thank you very much for that, hackztor!  I've only had a Roku for a few weeks so I hoped this was new.
It's a real shame, since (AFAIK) the Roku interface (search, number of channels, etc) is the best streaming one can get.
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

Even more annoying is the generic response you get from support. Instead of "this is a known issue" I am told to try HDMI or another optical cable. Thanks but its the software, clearly.
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

Bump. My wife is about to throw this thing out the window. Plz fix
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 10

I wonder if anyone has fantasized about phoning the CEO of Roku and suggesting he place an Ultra in an anatomically impossible place.
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

Or play the horrible screeching noise on repeat for a few hours throughout the Roku offices
0 Kudos