Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jubly
Reel Rookie

Buffering is frustrating can anyone help?

I have rebooted, removed channels that I  don’t use and have a good internet connection. Netflix and now tv work no problems but when I want to watch bbc iplayer/all 4, etc it continuously buffers. Also unable to screen mirror as this keeps stopping, can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Buffering is frustrating can anyone help?

Buffering is almost always related to networking issues. Since some channels are good but others are a problem, that seems to point to the provider having issues, rather than your own setup. 

Screen mirroring is likely a separate issue. What Roku device are you using, and what are you using to screen mirror?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jubly
Reel Rookie

Hi Dan thanks for your reply. I have a Hisense roku tv and the screen mirroring I downloaded was roku mirror with my iPhone. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've never seen a successful screen mirroring app for iOS, but I haven't looked at that particular one. But Roku has added AirPlay support to most 4K capable Roku devices. I don't know what model Hisense you have, but if it's 4K you might have AirPlay support now. 

Dan

0 Kudos
sburkett

I have Spectrum Internet and ROKU for Wifi, but all apps I use buffers often. Sometimes it says no Internet, but no problems with internet. I have unplugged, re-booted, upgraded my internet speed; but nothing has changed,

0 Kudos
atc98092

@sburkett  Since it's impacting all of your channels, you apparently do have WiFi related issues. It doesn't matter that other devices work OK, as the location of each device has a lot to do with its connectivity. 

For your network, the first suggestion I have is to change the channel your router is using for your WiFi. If you lease your modem from Spectrum, you might not have the ability to change it yourself. I have Comcast, I can't change my channels. If that's the case, you'll have to contact them and ask for it to be changed.

First, look at the network settings on your Roku, and you will see the channel in use. If it's a number between 1 and 11, then you're on the 2.4 GHz radio. The best channels to use on that band are 1, 6 or 11. If you're already on one of these, try changing to one of the others. If you have a laptop or other PC available with a wireless card, you can install a software program that will scan your area and see what channels are in use nearby, and then choose one that has less activity. 

If the channel number is higher than 11, then you're using the 5 GHz radio band. There are far more available channels there, so less overall interference. However, there are some 5 GHz channels that cannot be used for Roku devices. In this band, the channel has to be 48 or below, or 149 or higher. Be aware that most Roku devices don't support 5 GHz, so don't worry about this band if yours is only using 2.4 GHz.

Dan

0 Kudos