Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azurenepsa
Level 8

Re: Broken Roku Ultra? Why does everything downmix to PCM stereo??

"Danito" wrote:
Roku info page "How to set up your Roku streaming player for surround sound" now has a new Note under the "More about audio formats" subhead that says:

• Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
    * Not available in all countries.

That support page should be updated.  Only the Roku Ultra 4640 (with optical audio port) supports transcoding DD+ to DD.  The Roku Ultra 4660 does not have this transcoding capability.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Danito" wrote:
Roku info page "How to set up your Roku streaming player for surround sound" now has a new Note under the "More about audio formats" subhead that says:

• Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
    * Not available in all countries.

That is only the 2016 Ultra, model 4640. The current Ultra version is model 4660, and does not convert DD+ to DD. If the Ultra has an optical port, it's a 4640. Otherwise it's a 4660. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Danito
Level 7

See post from RokuDale from one week ago July 23, 2018. DD+ to DD transcoding must come from the device. The port itself does not do it.  I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

"Danito" wrote:
See post from RokuDale from one week ago July 23, 2018. DD+ to DD transcoding must come from the device. The port itself does not do it.  I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.

RokuDale confirms that the Ultra 4660 (2017 model) cannot transcode DD+ to DD in this thread:  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109959&#p578982
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Danito" wrote:
... I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.

Then they are wrong. The current Ultra, model 4660, does not transcode DD+ to DD. You have to have an audio device (AVR, soundbar or TV) that supports DD+. Otherwise you can only have stereo.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

I don't know if this is by design, but my Roku Premiere + was outputting stereo-only after I had switched it to Night Listening mode. Once I switched it back, the DD+ came back normally. Wondering if the Ultra bug somehow had something to do with that toggle (internally).  
0 Kudos
Danito
Level 7

On my Ultra I'm watching the new season of OITNB on Netflix right now in TC DD 5.1 (not DD+) which enables me to easily convert the DD surround audio to 2ch analog stereo for my L/R Zone 2 speakers. I'm a happy camper!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
I don't know if this is by design, but my Roku Premiere + was outputting stereo-only after I had switched it to Night Listening mode. Once I switched it back, the DD+ came back normally. Wondering if the Ultra bug somehow had something to do with that toggle (internally).  

Good observation. Most people are unaware that night listening mode forces everything to stereo. 
Dan
0 Kudos