Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andyg53
Level 7

Re: Broken Roku Ultra? Why does everything downmix to PCM stereo??

I spent 45 minutes chatting with a roku tech earlier today before reading all of this. She tried to tell me that the reason that I stopped getting DD was because of my AVR. After that, I searched and found this thread, which has helped me understand. I have an ultra 4640X hooked up to an AVR that is compatible with DD and not DD+. It’s hooked up via HDMI. I have 3 questions that I hope you knowledgeable users out there can answer.

1. The loss of DD+ to DD transcoding, is that something that roku is trying to fix?
2. Does the optical connection still do the DD+ to DD change?
3. Can I connect the roku to my AVR using both HDMI and optical?

Thanks to all of you.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 9

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
There isn't an app that I'm aware of on the Roku that currently uses DD rather than DD+. The last holdout was HBO, and they switched to DD+ last month.

If your receiver supports it, PCM can use Prologic II, which does a good job of converting 2 channel to 5 channel. By the way, you "tested" using Hulu. Hulu is always in PCM...if your receiver ever said otherwise it was because the device sending the info was not sending correct info (probably because it was not autoconverting; eg Xbox does this because it does not autoconvert like Roku does so Hulu will show Dolby Digital if I set the xbox to that). If you listen to the actual output only 2 speakers will have sound even though your receiver says "5.1". Setting something to DD won't change the actual output anymore than setting your resolution to 1080p changes an SD video to HD. To get actual 5.1 you need Prologic II.

Actually Hulu on Xbox One supports 5.1 on their "Originals" as of over a month ago, and 4K (non-HDR) with 5.1 since 2016:
https://help.hulu.com/en-us/surround-sound
https://www.hulu.com/press/4k-ultra-hd- ... g-on-hulu/

Granted, they don't actually go out of their way to advertise this (probably due to both the device and content limitations), but its been there.

Otherwise, you're right that its generally PCM 2.0, though some devices' Hulu apps output DD2.0 (such as with recent LG TVs, etc) and either way it can be be upmixed via DPL or DTSN6 etc.
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

"Andyg53" wrote:
I spent 45 minutes chatting with a roku tech earlier today before reading all of this. She tried to tell me that the reason that I stopped getting DD was because of my AVR. After that, I searched and found this thread, which has helped me understand. I have an ultra 4640X hooked up to an AVR that is compatible with DD and not DD+. It’s hooked up via HDMI. I have 3 questions that I hope you knowledgeable users out there can answer.

1. The loss of DD+ to DD transcoding, is that something that roku is trying to fix?
2. Does the optical connection still do the DD+ to DD change?
3. Can I connect the roku to my AVR using both HDMI and optical?

Thanks to all of you.

1. I would expect that Roku will fix the DD+ to DD transcoding in the next software update.  Hopefully an update will be issued sooner rather than later.

2. My Roku Ultra can transcode DD+ to DD over optical, but if there's anyone who's unable to do this they could chime in.

3. In my setup, I can connect my Roku Ultra to my AVR using both HDMI and optical.  I can adjust settings on my Yamaha RX-V371 AVR to associate the optical audio input with the HDMI input.  Also, in the Roku menu, I have to go to:  (Settings > Audio > HDMI and S/PDIF) and set it to:  (Dolby D) or (Dolby D, DTS) .  If I don't configure it this way, the Roku will output stereo PCM over the optical output (My AVR is DD+ capable, so if you have an AVR that's only DD capable, you may not have to adjust this setting).

However, it might be easier to just connect the Roku's HDMI output to your TV (and then connect the TV to the AVR via HDMI) depending on what your exact AV setup is.
0 Kudos
Andyg53
Level 7

Thanks for your input. I think that the first thing I will try is using an optical cable.

Andy
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

"Andyg53" wrote:
Thanks for your input. I think that the first thing I will try is using an optical cable.

Andy

I should also note that some 2016 Roku Ultra users were experiencing loud screeching noises when using the optical output.  However, a couple users said this was fixed for them in the 8.1 update.  Here is the thread that discusses this with the comments about it maybe being fixed on the last page:  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112681[/url:1xmjg7bx]

I never experienced these screechi...
0 Kudos
haweiss2
Level 7

Since the end of May after an unsolicited firmware update to 8.0.1, OI no longer received 5.1 sound. Everything is downmixed to stereo. I reported the problem to Roku and opened a ticket. Two months later there is not only no resolution, there is no indication that they are even working on it. Today, they told me to do a factory reset, which I did, but it did not solve the problem. Terrible customer service. I'm getting an apple tv 4k.
0 Kudos
Andyg53
Level 7

Well. I connected my roku ultra 4640 to my AVR using an optical cable along with HDMI and went into my AVR setup to assign the optical port to the HDMI port. I still only get stereo.My AVR is a Pioneer that is 12 years old that I do not want to replace, nor do I want to replace the roku. I would just like this bug fixed so I can go back to DD, 
0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Level 7

Both optical and Hdmi both no longer transcode. DTS does appear to work though. In May everything worked. After 8.1 update now transcoding to Dolby does not. Audio is now down-muxed to stereo. This is the default behavior of all non-ultra devices. Ultra is the only device marketed sold with transcoding features (that are now gone). If you are hearing PCM... it’s likely a receiver setting. If you play anything in stereo... does do you hear pcm?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Check for a firmware update.
0 Kudos
Danito
Level 7

Roku info page "How to set up your Roku streaming player for surround sound" now has a new Note under the "More about audio formats" subhead that says:

• Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
    * Not available in all countries.
0 Kudos