Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddh
Level 7

Brand new Sony OLED has way better 4K picture than going through Roku Premier+ and Onkyo 4K AVR

Hello All

I just bought a 65"Sony OLED and the 4K picture was way sharper through the TV apps than through the Roku Premiere + and an older non 4K Onkyo AVR. I did some web research and ended up buying a new Onkyo AVR with 4K pass through on the ARC HDMI output. I still have the problem. The TV and Roku get the same in house wifi signal, I have basic high speed HDMI cables as supposedly there is no cell advantage to expensive cables. I like the Roku interface way better than the Sony, but hate to lose the stunning 4K images. Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance,

Todd

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
fox020
Level 7

Re: Brand new Sony OLED has way better 4K picture than going through Roku Premier+ and Onkyo 4K AVR

When I got the LG OLED in 2017, I had the same issues using ROKU from Yamaha AVR 4k with all the pass thru settings set correctly.  Quality not nearly as good on Roku as with LG SmartTV.  Particularly with NetFlix.

Then it magically improved to the same quality about a year or so ago.  I'm thinking one of the AVR automatic updates fixed it or something.  I would check the online discussions for your AVR for the latest info and similar stories .. if for no other reason to get them to fix it..

0 Kudos