Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vanylapep
Level 7

Brand new Roku Ultra (4640X) infinite reboot loop (new issue: now can't create account)

Hi,

I just received my Roku Ultra and plugged it in (only power and HDMI) and it keeps rebooting after the Roku start screen appears for about 10 seconds. I see the logo with a loading circle at the bottom. It's been rebooting for 20+ times now. I have unplugged and replugged and same result.

I tried to pair the remote but nothing happens.

This is a brand new Roku, why is this happening?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

Re: Brand new Roku Ultra (4640X) infinite reboot loop

Are you sure it's brand new? The Roku Ultra model 4640 was discontinued in October 2017. The current model is the 4660.

Since it's possibly a used or reconditioned item -- though it could be a new device that is old inventory that's being cleared out for a low price -- you might want to ensure that there is not a microSD card in the slot below the HDMI port. The previous owner may have left one in when it was returned. If so, remove it.

Failing that, the reset button is located on the bottom of the device. At least, that's true of the 4660 model. I never had a 4640, so I can't say with certainty that it's the same location and form. On other models, the reset button is usually a small round button that requires a paperclip size item to push and hold, and was located on the back of the device.

Once you found the reset button, with the device plugged in, press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds continuously. Less than 30 seconds is not right. 30 seconds. I don't care what the screen shows, 30 seconds. Seriously. 30 seconds. Yeah, I've driven that point into the ground, but there have been some people that would start and say "Well, the screen showed such and such so I stopped holding it." Don't be those people.

Anyway, after the manual reset, see if the cycle is broken and if it completes setup.

If not, unless others here have suggestions that might help, you may want to return it. Not sure how much you paid for that older model, but the current model is $99 from Roku and $89 from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, and other retailers.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
vanylapep
Level 7

Thanks Basil for the detailed instructions.

Mind you I bought the Canadian version, from Staples: https://www.staples.ca/en/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-4640CA/product_2729771_1-CA_1_20001
Is there a newer Canadian version?

So I checked and there is no SD card. I also did the 30 seconds reset button (I held 35 seconds), but nothing changes, it still reboots.

I guess I'll just return it?? Urgh..
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

This is where location information does indeed make a difference. Canada's Roku Ultra has the optical audio output, which would indicate it is the older 4640. The newer 4660, which is sold in the U.S. dropped that port. So, you may indeed have a brand new 4640.

My guess is that you have a bad device. That's a shame. And actually, quite rare. I've bought many devices over the last 8 years, for self and family, and have only had one bad device, and that was a Roku Ultra (4660) I bought from Best Buy. They exchanged it and the replacement has worked great.

Unless you're sour on Roku from this experience, I'd suggest exchanging it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
vanylapep
Level 7

I plugged it to another TV and it somehow worked. I got past the wifi setup, and forced update. But I am now facing a new issue.

I am at the link step where I get a code and have to go to browser to create a new account to log into an existing one. Since I don't have an account, I create a new one. I keep getting the "Oops! Something went wrong, please try again" error right after the PIN step. I've retried 5 times already!

Pretty frustrating and buggy product right off the bat.

EDIT: Solved: even tho it tells you that you can go on your mobile device, it requires you to be on Chrome or Firefox for it to work, so basically only Android phones.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"vanylapep" wrote:

EDIT: Solved: even tho it tells you that you can go on your mobile device, it requires you to be on Chrome or Firefox for it to work, so basically only Android phones.

I have Chrome and Firefox on iOS devices, so not just Android phones. But good to know a different browser worked. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos