Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjjplant
Reel Rookie

Brand new Roku Express restarts every 5 minutes

I bought a Roku Express (3930EU Model) on 8th December and setup went fine; it worked ok for the first few streams from BBC iPlayer, then yesterday when I tried to use it, it did an update of the software, and since then, it restarts every 5 minutes or so. I tried all options suggested including changing HDMI and USB power cables, deleting and re-adding channels, and doing a factory reset, but the restarts are still happening. It even restarted while I was trying to sign up to ITV Hub again after doing a factory reset, so it is not just a streaming issue. Please could someone tell me if this is a software fault resulting from the latest update, or whther the unit itself is faulty (one possibility is an overheating issue, although the unit doesn't feel particularly warm.) If it helps, the Serial Number is S01V308D1W1H.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HelpMe5
Reel Rookie

Re: Brand new Roku Express restarts every 5 minutes

I’m having the same issue my roku express has been working perfectly on my insignia tv (model# NS-39D400NA14) I was recently given another tv which is an Emerson (model# LF501EM5F) and now my roku keeps restarting itself randomly when I am in any of my streaming apps (Netflix Hulu or Disney+) or even when Im just trying to fix the Home Screen it just restarts it’s self. sometimes it happens right away other times I can watch an episode or two before it restarts. I have tried unplugging the tv, unplugging the roku, factory reset on the roku, deleting and adding apps again and turning off the bandwidth and nothing had worked. I’m not sure if this type of roku is just not compatible with the Emerson tv but I have literally tired everything and nothing on google works. I just ordered another roku express so maybe that will work. Please help.

0 Kudos
jjjplant
Reel Rookie

As I have had no further replies to this post, I assume no-one has a solution, and the device is therefore faulty and will need to be returned. But I thought I would post this comment just to bump the query up the list of recent posts just in case someone else sees it who can help. Rather disappoining though that the Roku Express (3930, 3931 series) does not seem to be supported in any way by Roku themselves - it was quite cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Neither of you make it clear as to whether you're using the supplied power adapter or the TV's USB port.  Many TVs can't supply enough power from their USB ports, so use the supplied USB power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jjjplant
Reel Rookie

The Roku Express (at least as sold by Argos in the UK,) does not come with a power adapter. As per the enclosed instructions, I am using a standard 5v 1 amp USB phone charger to power the unit. I have tried more than one charger, just in case it is a power issue, but it made no difference.

0 Kudos
Magnet12

Having the same problem! 
plex restarts, Amazon restarts, Disney plus restarts, for some odd reason I can watch Netflix but that’s getting old quick and only lasts an hour or two. This is happening on a roku express, bought in August 2020. Has latest update, I’ve completed a factory reset twice, I’ve changed HDMI cables and power blocks, nothing works. Reached out to Roku Support and they directed me to the community for help and nothing else. This is so frustrating! 

0 Kudos
Timinator2

We just started having the same issue. Our Roku Ultra model 4670X , software version 9.4.0 , build 4200-46.

System update last checked 1/29/21 , last updated 12/18/20

It has suddenly begun freezing, and rebooting every 5 minutes  (give or take a minute. )

0 Kudos
Freyes79
Reel Rookie

Have you changed out the power supply box with same voltage output? I had same issues and I did this. No problems since last week. I used a power supply from a old cell phone wall charger. Good luck.

0 Kudos