Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Bought a brand new Roku express and its stuck on bouncing Roku logo???

Hi @User345,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem. Kindly include the serial number/device ID of your Roku device.

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
User345
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary

my serial number is s010306p5wda

still stuck on bouncing logo.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@User345

Thanks for providing us with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
London1649
Reel Rookie

Re: Bought a brand new Roku express 4k+ and its stuck on bouncing Roku logo???

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the power supply! When I replaced it Roku worked like it should! Good luck!

0 Kudos
globalchurchinc
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express Stuck on bouncing logo

4230X1 is the model number roku 3

Things I’ve tried 

resetting 

unplugging and replugging

pressing home, fast forward, rewind etc nothing 

every idea posted online including 

standing on my head… (not really),

but seriously, 

it’s always odd when you explain the situation of the Dancing Logo and someone suggest going to settings!!!!

anyway, months into this and no answers 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @globalchurchinc

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you try disconnecting first your router then try to boot up your Roku device? Once it's up, you can plug back in your router. 

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

@globalchurchinc -- you own a Roku 3 and are having this problem? This also has happened to me a number of times. If you have an SD Card in your micro-SD card slot underneath your HDMI connector, remove the SD card, which should stop your Roku 3 from constantly rebooting (hopefully). If this solved the issue, then all you need to do is to format the SD card in a computer or tablet (make sure not to accidentally format your other drives when doing this), and then when you put that back into the Roku, the Roku will ask to format the SD card, and everything should then be working as it was (hopefully).

I could be wrong about this next part, when attempting to solve the Roku Express boot issues, but owning an Express myself (not the 4k one), I know that this device uses a USB charging cord to connect to the USB AC power adapter.

What if that USB charging cord and/or the USB AC power adapter is damaged? If it was and your Express wasn't being powered properly, it could cause this boot cycle issue. Troubleshoot this by getting a different USB charging cord and, if that doesn't work, a different USB AC power adapter like the ones that charge your phone, and if it's not that, then try both a different USB charging cord and a different USB AC power adapter. 

If I at least helped you @globalchurchinc, then give me kudos if you want, but if I was actually able to solve this thread, then be sure to mark this as solved.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@globalchurchinc and @Portalogem 

The MicroSD card removal is a good reminder as a corrupted one can cause boot issues.  Sometimes merely removing it and trying to reboot without it in place is a good step.  May even have to Factory Reset device (press and hold reset 30+ seconds) after removal of MicroSD card.  Since the card is only for channel storage, don't worry about putting it back into device unless you can successfully get the device to boot normally.

The power adapter is also another good mention, but unlike the newer Roku devices that use the Micro-USB connector and a USB power adapter (5volt 1amp), the Roku 3 (4200/4230) will use a molded 12volt, 1.5amp power adapter with a barrel connector. (long cylindrical plug connector at device).

Unfortunately, if the above does not work, may have to conclude that the device has failed with age and requires replacement.  Some success has been reported by users by simply leaving the device unplugged for awhile (overnight if possible).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Sorry if my post was confusing AvsGunnar, but I meant to divide this into two different potential fixes -- one fix for the two different device models.

With my working Roku 3 that had this happen after many updates, I was able to fix this by removing the SD card and it just booted without needing a factory reset, but since the brand new Express models didn't come with a micro-SD card slot, I had thought of a different option with it having issues with the USB cord and/or power adapter that could be easily tested since they were brand new. I assumed it was the USB cord/adaptor because the OP had said that the device had loaded initially. I would think if  jen_d03's newer Roku had failed or were DOA that this would never have functioned at all and just remained at the boot screen from the beginning. But a failing USB cord could cause a device to work and then become stuck at the boot screen after it loaded a couple of times and tried to update. We'll see once the other's test this. It could be a different problem for each person. 

I didn't mean to imply that the issue was the power cord for the Roku 3, and since there isn't a way to replace that part of it to test it anyhow as a USB cord wouldn't even fit into the adaptor, I didn't specifically mention the Roku 3's power cord in my post. As for that Roku 3 model, it's either an SD card issue or a heating issue as you implied. But since the Roku 3 does have a USB connector, I probably should have been more clear that one can't connect a power adaptor to that USB slot in the Roku 3. The main problem I always seem to have with writing is being clear with what I'm trying to say. 

0 Kudos