Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Bose 700 Soundbar

I have a Roku streaming stick, an LG flatscreen that is about 7 years old, and a new Bose 700 soundbar. I can’t get the sound to come out of the soundbar when using the Roku.

The TV does not have HDMI-ARC output — only regular HDMI and optical. My understanding is that regular HDMI won’t work with the Bose 700 soundbar, so I have the TV connected to the soundbar using the optical cable. 

Best Buy told me that the soundbar would just pull the sound through the TV regardless of the source, but that obviously isn’t happening. 

Is someone able to help? Thank you! 

Note: I realize that this might be more of a question for the Bose community, but I was basically told that it’s more of a Roku question when I posted there....

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar

The Roku is attached to the TV, the Roku remote can only control a Tv. It is upto the tv via hdmi-cec to control the soundbar. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar

@Rtally3 wrote:

I have a Roku streaming stick, an LG flatscreen that is about 7 years old, and a new Bose 700 soundbar. I can’t get the sound to come out of the soundbar when using the Roku.

The TV does not have HDMI-ARC output — only regular HDMI and optical. My understanding is that regular HDMI won’t work with the Bose 700 soundbar, so I have the TV connected to the soundbar using the optical cable. 

Best Buy told me that the soundbar would just pull the sound through the TV regardless of the source, but that obviously isn’t happening. 

Depending on what you're watching on the Roku, most of the content providers use Dolby Digital Plus as the audio codec. Your soundbar most likely doesn't support it, and DD+ often isn't passed via optical. Check the audio setting in your Roku and make sure it's on Stereo or DD, and the HDMI setting might require changing from Auto detect to PCM-Stereo or Dolby Digital.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos