Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnW
Level 7

Blank screen with audio after boot

Greetings all!

I have set up and used my new Roku streaming stick. The 2nd time I tried to watch, after the dancing ROKU boot screen, my TV went blank and said no device connected. Pressing buttons on the remote still produced audio thru the TV. I did a hard reset and was able to watch the Roku. The next time I went to watch, I had the EXACT same issue. Boot screen, TV goes blank and says no device connected, but remote buttons still produced audio. Using the TV remote, I cycled to a different HDMI input, and then back. Now I could see my Roku home screen. I now need to do this every time I watch my Roku. Turn on TV and Roku with Roku remote, wait for boot screen and blank screen, cycle to a different HDMI and then back. I have changed my video from auto detect to 1080 and 720 with no change.  Do you have any ideas?  I also travel for work, so I am away from my TV and Roku at the moment.  I'm just looking for a solution or possibly things to try when I get home.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn
0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 10

Re: Blank screen with audio after boot

Sounds like an HDMI handshaking problem. Have you tried plugging the Roku into a different HDMI port on the tv?
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
ShawnW
Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I have tried the one other empty port and a known good port used by my Xbox.  I also thought it sounded like a handshake issue.  Could turning off the 1-touch help this?
0 Kudos
Jeasley001
Level 7

Shawn- had the same issue happen to me this past weekend.  I've been using a Roku Ultra for about a year with zero problems.  Have 3 other Rokus in the house so usually touting this company.  But over the weekend saw that screen was blank.  Unplugged for 30 sec, plugged back in.  Dancing Roku boot-up screen, then abruptly went to black screen (TV said 'no input').

Could hear through audio the low beeps from pressing remote buttons but no video signal.  Note, I run this Ultra through a Denon receiver (AVR-X3000) for better sound.  Talking with Roku chat support, I hooked another HDMI cable to a smaller TV I brought over and it worked fine -- from Ultra directly to other TV.  Then I hooked the bigger TV (original one connected to Denon) directly to Ultra and it worked fine.  I even did a factory reset just to be sure given this has been mentioned on other threads.  Still no video through the Denon receiver.  This is the same receiver that had worked for the last year.  Nothing changed in my set up other than I see the last system update was a few days ago.

No luck with the Roku chat agent.  They don't think the Roku is working improperly since the direct HDMI to TV set up works.  This Denon has ARC connectivity and I'm suspecting that this may somehow come into play with the latest update.  Would appreciate any help from folks experiencing the same problem with similar (via receiver) setup.
0 Kudos
Dan_H
Level 7

I'm having the exact same issue, Jeas.
I'd been using my Roku4 through an Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver to a (now 10 year old) Toshiba for a couple years with no problems.  Bought a new TV and now all I get is audio.  Can hear the beeps of the remote and if I'm lucky enough to stumble across a setup menu with voice instructions, I can hear those, but no picture.  Works fine if I hook it up directly to one of the TV's HDMI ports.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dan_H 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're seeing.  

- To test a bit further, have you tried using a high-speed, HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cable to rule out your current cable causing any potential issue? 
- What is the make/model of your new TV? 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address and your Roku Player's serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up directly to assist you further and help report this to our team. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos