Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick3
Level 7

Blank Screen on start up

Everytime I turn my Roku on, I am greeted with a blank screen. The only way to eventually get to the home screen is to hit the Netflix button twice, wait until it loads, and then press the home key to finally see the main home screen, does anyone have any tips on hiw to fix this? I have ready restarted rhe device multiple times through the settings app, and powered the device down, and back up again. And I have also checked for new updates .

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Blank Screen on start up

When you say turn on, do you power the Roku off via a power disconnect, or is it simply you are waking it from being inactive? If the latter, it sounds like the Roku and your display are losing HDCP lock while the player is inactive. I can't say if that's a display or Roku problem. The easiest test would be to move the Roku to a different display and see if it still happens. If it does't, then the problem is with the display. 

Or, perhaps there's some little dust ball stuck in the HDMI connection at either end of the cable. Dust in the connector can cause intermittent issues similar to this. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Patrick3
Level 7

Mostly just when im "waking it up" I guess. We only use the roku on our bedroom TV. When we use our TV remote to turn it (the TV) on, it also powers the roku on through the usb port. And thats when we get the blank screen. 

atc98092

@Patrick3 wrote:

Mostly just when im "waking it up" I guess. We only use the roku on our bedroom TV. When we use our TV remote to turn it (the TV) on, it also powers the roku on through the usb port. And thats when we get the blank screen. 

Ah, ok. You truly are turning it on, since the USB port has no power when the TV is off. My first suggestion is to not power it from the TV USB port. They are usually right at the edge of insufficient power for a Roku device. Yes, Roku says you can do it, but it has also been the cause of problems for many users. 

A USB 2.0 port (which most TVs have) per spec will have about 500 mA of power available. Real world most Roku players need closer to a full amp (1000 mA), and the limited power available at the TV port just isn't enough sometimes. 

Naturally, plugging your Roku into the wall outlet means it will be on full time. This means more electricity used. But in reality it likely amounts to well under $1 per month. They just don't use that much power. Mine are powered 24/7 and I never have an issue with them connecting to their displays. 

Dan

TB0
Level 7

I’m seeing exactly the same problem with a black screen on starting the TV even though the correct input is selected and it’s powered directly from a wall outlet on my new Streaming Stick+. Your Netflix trick worked for me though so thanks for posting that workaround. 👍🏼 Have you found out what’s causing this behavior on your device? I’m running v9.3.0 Build 4194. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kenna10
Level 7

I get stuck on a blank screen after turning it on it says update available and u press okay and it just takes me to a blank screen only showing the time and roku tv...help please

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Kenna10 can you post a picture of what you're seeing? You never see the Roku home screen?

Dan

0 Kudos
Jamesvette007
Level 7

I have an LG TV and a Roku Premier, both of which were purchased in December of 2020. When I turn on the TV, the Roku comes on as if it is loading up, and then the screen goes blank and the Home Screen doesn't come on. It use to be that the home screen would take a few moments to load up with all my TV apps, but now I usually have to turn the TV off again and then turn it back on before Roku will load the home screen.

I have to say I think that a company like Roku is derelict in their duty to provide a customer service phone number, and e-mail support. This is totally unacceptable for my player to be less than 6 months old and I have no way to get customer service and/or return my device for repair or replacement if it is defective.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jamesvette007 send a private message to @RokuDanny-R with your account email address, and the serial number of your Premiere. Don't post that info here in the forum. He can assist you with a possible warranty replacement.

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Jamesvette007

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI cable and switching HDMI ports to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos