Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimCreek
Level 7

Blackouts with Roku Ultra

I get brief blackouts with the newest Roku Ultra. They happen once every 50-70 minutes. They last about 1 second. The HDMI Port number and resolution display briefly on a black screen. I am connected to the Router via hard wired to the EitherNet port. Resolution is 1080P. Samsung TV. HDMI cable is a ROKU cable. 

When I down grade the resolution to 720P the blackouts stop. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks...Jim
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Blackouts with Roku Ultra

"JimCreek" wrote:
I get brief blackouts with the newest Roku Ultra. They happen once every 50-70 minutes. They last about 1 second. The HDMI Port number and resolution display briefly on a black screen. I am connected to the Router via hard wired to the EitherNet port. Resolution is 1080P. Samsung TV. HDMI cable is a ROKU cable. 

When I down grade the resolution to 720P the blackouts stop. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks...Jim

I had a similar issue with my Roku Ultra. It eventually got worse and worse. The solution took me some time accepting, but it it what it is.

I changed HDMI cables and the issue went away. No other device had an issue with that HDMI cable, but the Roku Ultra did (and only occasionally then). But, after changing cables, the issue went away. I put the HDMI cable on a different input with a different Roku (Roku 2/3), and the issue did return. It appears some cables don't play nice with Roku, or Roku doesn't play nice with some cables. My new Amazon Basics cable works great.

Whether or not this'll fix your issue, I don't know. But if you have a different HDMI cable (different brand) you might want to try that as a troubleshooting step.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
JimCreek
Level 7

The HDMI cable is a ROKU cable from the ROKU Premiere. The ROKU Premiere also had the flashing problem. 

So ROKU is providing HDMI cables that are not compatible with their own devices?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"JimCreek" wrote:
The HDMI cable is a ROKU cable from the ROKU Premiere. The ROKU Premiere also had the flashing problem. 

So ROKU is providing HDMI cables that are not compatible with their own devices?

Nowhere did I say that. Quit jumping to conclusions. Re-read what I wrote if you need.

What I said was that's what fixed mine. I was not using a Roku HDMI cable, but one from Best Buy (don't recall the brand).

Perhaps you have a bad Roku Ultra. That's rare, but non unheard of.

Perhaps you have a bad input on your TV.

And, yes, perhaps the HDMI cable is bad. All of those things happen.

My suggestion was simply a first troubleshooting step. I don't see that you even attempted it. If you want to try to resolve the issue, you need to do some troubleshooting. And you should always start with the simplest and go from there. HDMI cable is the simplest (and the cause in my case). But you need to be able to infer proper results, or the troubleshooting is a waste of time.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
JimCreek
Level 7

I installed a new HDMI cable certified 4K even though my LED TV only does 1080P. No change, blackouts continue.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"JimCreek" wrote:
I installed a new HDMI cable certified 4K even though my LED TV only does 1080P. No change, blackouts continue.

That would indicate the cable is likely not the problem. Have you tried another input, either in the same TV or a different TV?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
JimCreek
Level 7

Switching HDMI ports solves nothing. After reading some older threads on this prevalent blackout issue it seems to be a common problem with Samsung TVs. I have a Samsung. Apparently the handshake between the ROKU and the Samsung gets corrupted. 

I have yet to see a solution. If it were fixable I am sure ROKU would have done a software update to solve it.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"JimCreek" wrote:

I would just not allow that HDMI cable to wear a raincoat. That will stop it from flashing.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
JimCreek
Level 7

>would just not allow that HDMI cable to wear a raincoat. That will stop it from flashing.<

Wear a raincoat? What does that mean?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"JimCreek" wrote:
>would just not allow that HDMI cable to wear a raincoat. That will stop it from flashing.<

Wear a raincoat? What does that mean?

Thanks.

A raincoat is the traditional attire of a "flasher." In particular you can see how one is used in the opening part of any "Cagney and Lacey" episode.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos