Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Black screen with Roku Express

I just set up a Roku Express on my sons TV. The first time, the “ROKU” logo appeared as if loading and then the screen went black and wouldn’t go to the setup screen. I’m not sure how but eventually I was able to go through the set up screens and start watching. The second time I turn the tv on once again the “ROKU” logo appeared as if loading and then the screen went black. I’ve waited awhile to see if the home screen would come on but nothing. Any advice? 

thank you! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Black screen with Roku Express

My new Express+ also goes black (no signal) after the initial Roku splash screen.  No fix, yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mine went black after initial set up reboot, wont reset to factory settings by pushing in the reset button for 15, 30, or 60 seconds. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Did y'all ever get help to fix? I just bought mine yesterday, it worked fine then this morning we turned it on and the Netflix logo froze on the screen and then it went black. I've reset/unplugged several times but no roku letters, no home screen, no apps... Just a black screen. If I press the OK button I hear a chime but that's it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've got exactly the same problem since yesterday. None of the Roku help pages seem to have a fix for this, so now I have a completely useless box until this is resolved.

Any advice or help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@BBFLBoy wrote:

I've got exactly the same problem since yesterday. None of the Roku help pages seem to have a fix for this, so now I have a completely useless box until this is resolved.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Some responses say to change the HDMI cable (since so common it means they're purposely including faulty cables to hide additional costs). I changed it out with a much better cable but no change. Just black screen with non-stop beeping.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same on my roku express...tried unplugging, reset button, turning off/on etc....when I reset the roku icon bounces across screen with sound then screen goes black. 

Highlighted
Level 7

I just got mine yesterday and am having this same issue.  I got it set up fine then right after that the screen went dark.  I've tried unplugging it, waiting, etc. and nothing has worked.  If I don't find an answer in the next couple hours the device is going to be returned and I'll get a FireStick!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I found two issues with mine. The first was the USB power source didn't agree with the Roku. The second was the HDMI cable. i changed both and it worked.

0 Kudos