Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caden2

Black screen for video but sound works

My Roku stick was working fine yesterday but when I tried to use it today whenever I would play a video the screen would go black and the video would play as if it hadn’t. The sound works fine I can see everything until I play a video. I can still see the title of the video and the progress bar on the bottom of the screen and everything else that’s not in the video. The only issue is the video itself. I’ve tried soft resetting, factory resetting, and a bunch of other stuff.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen for video but sound works

And exactly how are you watching this “video”? What channel?

0 Kudos
Candy4471
Channel Surfer

Did you ever get this resolved because i am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Candy4471

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Candy4471
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R Im having the same issue as everyone here. The Roku works as expected on load. The sound and picture is as expected.  I am able to navigate to any channel and it all works up until i go to stream a video.  Once the video starts to play it only displays a black screen with the sound working.  The video navigation bar is also functional but there is no image playing.  This occurs on every channel no matter what video is selected. 

I’ve reset the Roku and my router, unplugged everything, deleted channels and reinstalled, etc. Nothing has worked

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Candy4471

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Candy4471
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Roku Express - model 3960X

serial number - X02600LM55U8

software - 11.5.0

device ID - S0KC32AM55U8

It’s not on any specific channel as stated.  The Roku works as expected until you go to stream a video, then the image goes black while playing audio only.  This happens on any channel regardless of channel or video selected.

0 Kudos
Candy4471
Channel Surfer

It’s been MONTHS and I’ve tried literally every suggestion on this thread and others around this subject.  I need my money back for this unusable Roku device.  Completely useless and no number to call and help me 

0 Kudos
RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Hi @Candy4471

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!
We understand that you're having problem with your Roku device. We're sorry about the experience, this is not what we aim for. We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Can you please give us more details regarding the issue you're having so we can further assist you:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.
Detailed information. We will be there to assist you.
Best regards,
Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos