Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Isalooslie0375
Level 7

Black screen after pressing wrong display type

I clicked on the wrong display type and now my screen is black. I’m not sure what to do ! It’s a Roku 3920X

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MaryFranco
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Black screen after pressing wrong display type

Thanks for reaching out, @Isalooslie0375.

Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable that you are using to connect the device to your TV as well as trying another HDMI port on your TV?

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding how to change display type: How do I change the display type on my Roku® streaming player?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Black screen after pressing wrong display type

That support article won't do you much good if you don't have a visible display.

It sounds like you've set your Roku to a display type your tv can't display.  Do you have another, higher resolution, tv you can try this Roku on?  If it will display for you on that set, go into Settings/Display type, set it to the resolution of the first set, and click "OK, go to [that resolution]".  When you get to the countdown screen, click on "Yes, screen looks good" to lock in that resolution.  Now return the Roku to the first set and see if the problem is solved.

If you don't have another set to try it on, or if it won't display there either, your best bet may be to do a Factory reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset) and set it up again from scratch.  This will require you to link to your Roku account again and renew your log in to many of your channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos