Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Black Bars on screen.

Jump to solution

Hey @GoblinQueenJenn

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend trying out the solution posted above and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D
there was NO full solution posted yet. The chosen "solution" is in broken english and says

"My disappeared. I changed the theme and background. I had the default red background and theme. I changed it and now it's not doing that wear black bar thing anymore."

Based on my own experience with the glitch AND with the comments made here i know the person who said "it's not doing that wear black bar thing anymore" just didn't wait long enough for it to reoccur. Because it always reoccurs when you change the theme.

This glitch is getting really annoying.

ThatBoi69

Jump to solution

It’s amazing how these updates that supposedly help fix your tv, give you more problems than you had before. Every time there’s an update I get lines on my tv with no real way to fix it and the roku company just hides and does nothing. Do they know they are **bleep**ing their own products up with pointless updates?

0 Kudos
RokhunaMahtata
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The prison bars are back and I am off to Reddit for a possible solution. I wanted to watch Matrix this morning and discovered I was locked out of a clear and clean picture. App update, backgrounds removed, off/on, and I am still stuck. I hope that my Christmas weekend TV enjoyment is not ruined like my morning with Matrix and coffee was by this repeat Roku TV's SW issue/s!!!! 

0 Kudos
AKLew
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We just got a Phillips 55" Roku approx 1 month ago (April 2022) and the black bars began 3 days ago. I haven't tried resetting the background, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I'm not the only one and seems to be a common issue.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @AKLew

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur on a specific title or does it happen across all content on all channels? Please reply here as well with a photo of your TV screen so we can further help you out.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AKLew
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The black bars appear on the Roku home screen when just powering on the TV. The picture insert option here in this reply box isn't allowing me to upload a picture from my phone. There is a picture at the beginning of this comment thread that is similar to what my TV shows. I will attempt to post a picture in a comment in another comment vs the reply here to you. The channels have not been affected by this, not yet, anyway.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
AKLew
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

20220505_124836.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
TTNg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That’s untrue. I have used the same tv since the problem first occurred. It HAS NOT reoccurred since I changed the theme to a different one. 
I suspect that specific default the is the culprit because the bars never showed up when an application such as Netflix or Hulu is on. 

0 Kudos
TTNg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Have you tried changing the theme?

0 Kudos