Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitrate Override Bug in 9.1

Jump to solution
Hello,
I have the Premiere + with the Ethernet interface.  I upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 and now I am not able to set the bitrate override on the device.  When I set the bitrate manually press Home button and get back to the bitrate override screen it goes back to automatic.  I have tried different bitrates with the same result.
I have rebooted the device and reset to default with no success.
I need this feature because of my data cap.
TIA.
Jeff
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bitrate Override Bug in 9.1

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out. 

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but testing and development features within 'Secret Screens' are not customer facing functions that we support for general use. These can change at any time, and are not intended for end-users. I'll help pass along your feedback to the team though. Feel free to visit the Suggest a Feature section of the Community to share your thoughts about features you'd like to see on Roku. 

You would want to use any individual channel's video quality settings to control your bitrate, or modify network bandwidth allocation for your device on your home network. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out. 

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but testing and development features within 'Secret Screens' are not customer facing functions that we support for general use. These can change at any time, and are not intended for end-users. I'll help pass along your feedback to the team though. Feel free to visit the Suggest a Feature section of the Community to share your thoughts about features you'd like to see on Roku. 

You would want to use any individual channel's video quality settings to control your bitrate, or modify network bandwidth allocation for your device on your home network. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
LarryR
Level 8

Jump to solution
Jeff and Tanner .. I am suffering from the same problem as you Jeff. It has now become an issue for me as an internet streamer whose ISP has a disgustingly tight data cap. Limiting your data rate should not be, under any circumstances, an internal function but readily available to the consumer for this very reason. Tanner, and I don't mean this with disrespect, but your answer is extremely arrogant. Have you not considered the ramifications to your customers? I recognized this bug in 9.1 earlier this year when my ISP hit me with a $30 overage charge.

I am about to shelve my Roku boxes and my subscription to a couple of streaming services because of this bug. Tanner, not all streaming services have bandwidth control. SlingTV does but CBS All Access does not, for instance. The SlingTV does not require a "Roku" box! While you may think this is not an issue that you should be concerned about because it is an "internal function", you might consider the impact when other users like Jeff and me cancel our Roku membership and can the Roku boxes!
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution
"LarryR" wrote:
Jeff and Tanner .. I am suffering from the same problem as you Jeff. It has now become an issue for me as an internet streamer whose ISP has a disgustingly tight data cap. Limiting your data rate should not be, under any circumstances, an internal function but readily available to the consumer for this very reason. Tanner, and I don't mean this with disrespect, but your answer is extremely arrogant. Have you not considered the ramifications to your customers? I recognized this bug in 9.1 earlier this year when my ISP hit me with a $30 overage charge.

I am about to shelve my Roku boxes and my subscription to a couple of streaming services because of this bug. Tanner, not all streaming services have bandwidth control. SlingTV does but CBS All Access does not, for instance. The SlingTV does not require a "Roku" box! While you may think this is not an issue that you should be concerned about because it is an "internal function", you might consider the impact when other users like Jeff and me cancel our Roku membership and can the Roku boxes!

A bug is aomething that causes software to not work correctly. What you're describing is wanting your Roku to work a way it wasn't advertised to work. The functions you want to work we're never meant to be "publicly.supported" settings.

Again it's an undocumented feature that no longer works, but that doesn't make it a bug.

Threaten your ISP, not Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
LarryR
Level 8

Jump to solution
JeffRok .. It's obvious that you do not work in Marketing! I just discovered that you do not work for Roku either. While you do not work for them in any capacity, people should be aware that you are voicing your own personal opinions as if you are a Roku representative and frankly doing their Marketing group a disservice!

As I was taught early on, the customer is ALWAYS right, even if he isn't. Being able to control user bandwidth should be a common user function because of the ISP's all over the country placing bandwidth caps on our service. I have talked to my ISP about it and he is the only Internet Provider, by law, in the county that I live in, so you can guess where that went.

If you are naive enough to think that it's just Jeff and me having this problem, you should rethink it. What Jeff and I shared with you in our posts is an educated description of a problem with our Roku boxes that we didn't have before 9.1. A "bug" has many definitions and can mean something not working as it was! Regardless of your intentions or what you advertised, that function made our continued use of Roku and your product work for us. Now they are not! This was not a threat, as you perceived, It is two of your loyal customers telling you that something has changed and the Roku box is no longer providing the necessary feature that it was before.

Why not listen to your customers that have taken the time to figure this problem out and report it to you and fix it instead of making excuses and talking down to us? Even better, ask your Marketing people what it costs to to get a new customer? You might learn something!
twiceover
Level 11

Jump to solution
"LarryR" wrote:
JeffRok .. It's obvious that you do not work in Marketing! As I was taught early on, the customer is ALWAYS right, even if he isn't. Being able to control user bandwidth should be a common user function because of the ISP's all over the country placing bandwidth caps on our service. I have talked to my ISP about it and he is the only Internet Provider, by law, in the county that I live in, so you can guess where that went.

If you are naive enough to think that it's just Jeff and me having this problem, you should rethink it. What Jeff and I shared with you in our posts is an educated description of a problem with our Roku boxes that we didn't have before 9.1. A "bug" has many definitions and can mean something not working as it was! Regardless of your intentions or what you advertised, that function made our continued use of Roku and your product work for us. Now they are not! This was not a threat, as you perceived, It is two of your loyal customers telling you that something has changed and the Roku box is no longer providing the necessary feature that it was before.

Why not listen to your customers that have taken the time to figure this problem out and report it to you and fix it instead of making excuses and talking down to us? Even better, ask your Marketing people what it costs to to get a new customer? You might learn something!

I don't believe there are any devices that do specifically what you want at the device level.  Why not just go into your router and set up bandwidth limiting for your device, problem solved.
0 Kudos
LarryR
Level 8

Jump to solution
Twiceover ... Think about what you just posted. "There isn't a device out there"  and yet the Roku box, pre 9.1, was doing just that! How to access the bandwidth menu was posted all over the internet. Hmmmm

Because there are data caps that the ISP's have put in place and because many of the streaming sites do not give you data rate control in their set up options, you now haven't the ability to control your data usage!

Set my router? First of all, I know my router menu and setting a maximum data rate is not an option on my Arris device. Besides, why would I wish to limit the data rate of all of my other devices, if I could set my router as you suggest? You must remember that this is a problem that affects my streaming only and to limit everything would be insane. Especially insane because the Roku box was doing just fine until it was decided somewhere that users should not have the ability to set a max data rate just because it was not an advertised function. And really who provided the information to access this menu? It had to be Roku themselves! No one else would have known.
DubTaylor
Level 10

Jump to solution
Pssssst!

The function you're upset about losing never actually did anything anyway...:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101059&p=556364&hilit=bitrate+override#p556387

1) If you're trying to work with a data cap you'd better purchase a router you can limit data with.
2) Q: Do OTT Devices need stream limiting?
2) A: Probably.
3) Q: Will limiting ever happen on my Roku?
3) A: Dunno, but refer to #1, 'cause it ain't there now, yet, or soon by all indications.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Jump to solution
"LarryR" wrote:
Twiceover ... Think about what you just posted. "There isn't a device out there"  and yet the Roku box, pre 9.1, was doing just that! How to access the bandwidth menu was posted all over the internet. Hmmmm

Because there are data caps that the ISP's have put in place and because many of the streaming sites do not give you data rate control in their set up options, you now haven't the ability to control your data usage!

Set my router? First of all, I know my router menu and setting a maximum data rate is not an option on my Arris device. Besides, why would I wish to limit the data rate of all of my other devices, if I could set my router as you suggest? You must remember that this is a problem that affects my streaming only and to limit everything would be insane. Especially insane because the Roku box was doing just fine until it was decided somewhere that users should not have the ability to set a max data rate just because it was not an advertised function.

That's alright. Today I cancelled all of my other streaming services that do not give me that ability. Sling TV is all that is left. Sling's Windows 10 App that runs on all my PC's also gives data rate control to me. Apparently Roku does not wish to address the issue so tomorrow my Roku devices ALL go dark as will my Roku account. Hey no big deal ... for me and obviously not for them either!

No...  It didn't do that before.
Most routers that aren't junk have the option to set bandwidth limiting PER DEVICE, which is what I wrote.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Jump to solution
Most routers that aren't junk have the option to set bandwidth limiting PER DEVICE

Just checked my ASUS RT-AC68 (Merlin) - and yea, seems pretty straight forward (but if it isn't there are a million tutorials on YouTube).

The "Real Issue" is that data cap. I assume there are no other ISP options (worth a hoot) in the area. I assume that because if there were, the ISP with the data cap would be hemorrhaging customers at an alarming rate when they find out 'those other guys' don't have a cap.

Anywho, if one is forced to endure a data cap THE LAST THING you want to do is use ANY of your Friendly Data Cap Provider's Equipment <--- 'cause their willingness to help you is somewhat limited by their desire to have you exceed your data cap resulting in more $$$$. (I suffered from this next bit - until I bought one) If you consider you've probably paid 20 thousand dollars for a 40 dollar modem by the time you die leaving a career of renting a modem from your provider to others that will take up the mantle - it's a sound bidness decision to get your own equipment so you'll have some control over it.
0 Kudos