Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Remove remote battery life indicator on screen

Jump to solution

There seriously needs to be an option created in the Roku settings to TURN OFF the extremely annoying and totally useless low battery message that keeps popping up in the upper right corner of the TV screen!

Once my battery level gets around 25% I start getting this annoying pop up randomly when pressing buttons, even though the batteries are fine and still will be for some time, I've been using the same batteries for a couple of weeks now since the message first started popping up and they are still working fine.

I am also getting conflicting reports because at first it says the battery level is low but then it says they are completely empty! When I go into the remote settings to check the battery level it says 0% remaining, then I back out and immediately go back into the setting again and now it's saying 9% power remaining for example. So this low battery message is completely inaccurate and a complete annoyance!

So I want to ask the people at Roku who designed this terrible annoyance into the firmware, telling it to continually pop up a low battery warning, if my batteries have been so low for the past couple of weeks how come NOT ONCE have any button presses failed to activate my Roku when pressed?

I want to turn this message off! I am not replacing my batteries just because my Roku keeps spamming my screen telling me that they are no good even though they have weeks of power left and every button press activates what it is supposed to just fine!

Once I start pressing buttons and nothing happens THEN I KNOW it's time to change the batteries! But until that happens I want Roku to STOP the annoying pop ups spamming my screen about my friggin' battery level! I've really had enough of this!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remove remote battery life indicator on screen

Jump to solution

@Emissary35 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
179 REPLIES 179
seablue4u
Visitor

Why do I see a battery icon within every app?

Jump to solution

Why am I seeing a battery icon on my roku screen on every app? Netflix, starz, prime etc? And how do I make it go away? I tried to take the batteries out and put them back in but that didn't work. 

jeffrok
Roku Guru

Re: Battery icon

Jump to solution
Did you restart your Roku? Are you sure it's not a battery icon being sent from the TV and not the Roku? Maybe it has a smart remote as well.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
twiceover
Roku Guru

Re: Battery icon

Jump to solution
So you took out the batteries and put the same ones back in?  I believe that sign means your remote needs NEW batteries.
Tim44
Channel Surfer

Battery warning

Jump to solution

Can we get an option or is there one to disable the remote battery warning pop up? It’s annoyance is making me consider the competition, thanks

4660x

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Battery warning

Jump to solution

I think the competition will have something similar. But no, there's no way to disable the battery warning. Not certain why you would want to, as it only appears for a brief amount of time and it's providing worthwhile information. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Tim44
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Program Options are good. It is not a useful feature when it displays for weeks and covers 10% of the screen.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've never seen a battery warning like that. Usually it's just a small icon in the upper right corner of the screen that goes away after about 5 seconds after waking the Roku. But again, it's unlikely you'll find another device that doesn't offer the same warning  and with an ability to disable. 

And if you've had a low battery warning for weeks, why not replace the batteries? From my experience the warning doesn't appear until you're down to somewhere around 30% remaining, and alkaline batteries tend to drop pretty fast once they get that low. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tim44
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I was considering stock in Roku, not lead battery parts. Throwing money and time at battery change outs is worse than putting up with the battery reminder every time I press a button, but either are very far from ideal.

Maybe there is an ideal solution in the future, maybe not.
Tim44
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Alternate suggestion and likely quicker to code. Have the low battery pop up once per hour maximum. If this were happening on a tablet every time you pressed the screen people would lose their minds. this is a horrible feature as currently implemented.