Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esm15
Level 7

Bad Windows 10 screen mirroring quality when playing videos

Hello there,

I have recently purchased a Roku Premiere and my main objective is to use it to cast/screen mirror videos and contents from my phone and my desktop.

While the casting feature from apps on the phone is great, I am having issues in mirroring the screen in Windows 10. The player gets detected by Windows and gets set up fine. However, the video quality gets terrible when there is fast refreshing e.g. when watching a video from Youtube that is playing. It gets fuzzy and the video being projected struggles to keep up with what is playing on the browser. Is this normal or you think it's an issue with my Roku player? Or am I expecting too much in that sense from a Roku key?

Hope you can help me guys.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Beelurvel
Level 7

Re: Bad Windows 10 screen mirroring quality when playing videos

Yes I agree it is highly frustrating I am looking for a solution to the same problem. I purchased a roku device for its ability to mirror too, only to find it cant keep up with video quality streaming from laptop. Any advice out there?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

When I've tried screen mirroring I didn't have an issue, but I can't honestly recall if I played a video. One factor of course will be network speed and WiFi interference. If you're watching YouTube, I would simply use the channel on the Roku and not bother with screen mirroring. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@Beelurvel wrote:

Yes I agree it is highly frustrating I am looking for a solution to the same problem. I purchased a roku device for its ability to mirror too, only to find it cant keep up with video quality streaming from laptop. Any advice out there?

Not all hardware handles miracast mirroring well (or at all).  It may help to be sure the laptop wifi is on a 5Ghz channel and one that does not have much interference from neighbors (use a wifi analyzer app to check).   However it usually works better to find a way to get the roku to play the content with a native app.   The most popular things on the internet will have roku apps.  If the content is on your laptop, try running the plex or emby servers to let the corresponding clients play over then network.

0 Kudos
SJL
Level 7

I'm having the same problem. I have a Roku 3800X and Windows 10 laptop. 

When I stream a video from YouTube or another site it appears the Roku cannot keep up.  Every so often part of the screen is not repainted correctly and occasionally the display freezes for a few seconds.  Audio is mostly OK, but also occasionally skips. Both Roku and PC are on 5G and have excellent connections. 

Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

It doesn't really make sense to use screen mirroring to play youtube videos instead of using the roku native app or casting to it.  For screen mirroring the roku and other device will establish a wifi direct connection that may or may not work with all windows laptops and when it does it can compete with the bandwidth for the internet connection that it also has to maintain.

0 Kudos
SJL
Level 7

And I tried at both 1080 and 720 resolution and it didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
SJL
Level 7

My wireless network is running in the 40mb to 60mb range.  Win 10 Task Manager shows relatively insignificant network usage.  So I'm not sure wifi contention should be an issue.  But I don't know how the Win 10 support works internally, so I suppose it can't be ruled out.

I may try downloading something and try replaying that, so the PC is not doing any internet access.

I'm not primarily interested in YouTube.  There are other live streamed events I'd like to occasionally watch.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Some wifi chipsets can't do wifi direct and maintain a connection to a router at the same time.  I'd assume that some that can are better than others at it.  In any case, wifi radios are half-duplex so they can't receive and send at the same time so there will be some contention with packets and timing when they have to relay a stream.  For what it's worth, my HP Spectre x360 does a pretty good job of mirroring to a 4k tcl roku tv.    But oddly the same laptop will connect to a Sony android TV that also claims to support miracast but it is unusable slow there.  However the Sony also supports chromecast and that works nicely.  Not an exact science, I guess...   The new airplay support seems better for the devices that got it.

For things that you have the opportunity to download or store on the PC, you can install Plex as a server and use the client on the roku to view it.

0 Kudos
casafelice
Level 7

I was successfully mirroring from Windows 10 showing a Zoom call to a Roku 3. I decided to upgrade the Roku to Premier to avoid reloading apps all the time, and the performance went down. Lots of audio hiccups, pixelating and lag. Switched back to Roku 3 and it was fine again.

In troubleshooting, I noticed both were casting to Roku using WiFi Direct on Windows, but the 3 was transmitting 7Mb/sec as opposed to 3 or 4 on Roku Premier. Investigating further, switching between the two, I somehow lost the higher speed on the Roku 3 and now both devices mirror poorly. 

Home network is capable of downloading >100Mb/sec so I don't think it is the problem.

Anyone else see this and solved it?

0 Kudos