Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgpcpa
Level 8

Background buzzing sound in audio

Recently, while using my Roku purchased in 2014, an annoying buzzing sound can be heard in the background. It's most prevalent while low level background music is playing. There's no buzzing at all when watching regular network TV or anything other than Roku stuff. Any advice or remedies would be greatly appreciated during this tough time.

Thanks, from suburban Philadelphia

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jollybolly
Level 8

Re: Background buzzing sound in audio

mgpcpa, what's the source of the "low level background music" that you are playing? CDs, bluetooth devices, or?

Background buzzing is usually from electromagnetic interference (EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) from an electronic or electrical device. EMI or RFI could have been introduced into your low level background music source somehow. It may just be a matter of moving your music source away from other electronic of electric sources.

Hope this is food for thought. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
mgpcpa
Level 8

Thanks for the prompt reply, but the buzzing noise is there only when we're watching movies or series on Netflix, HBO Now, etc. That's all we use Roku for. All other sound sources (turntable, CD, stereo) are at the opposite end of the house and nowhere near the Roku box and TV. Any other thoughts on your part?

0 Kudos
jollybolly
Level 8

Ok, you mentioned low-level music but it's really music in Netflix, HBO Now, etc, correct? Sounds like it could be your TV or whatever Roku device that you are using to stream your movies, etc. Older devices can slowly deteriorate, cannot be updated, or just die out over time. Have you tried updating your Roku firmware?

If nothing else seems to work, you might want to upgrade one or all of your devices . It definitely sounds electrical to me. Sorry that I can't be of further assistance at this point. Good luck.

0 Kudos
mgpcpa
Level 8

It can't be my TV because the sound is fine when not using the Roku. Yeah, my box is about 6 years old, so maybe it's time to replace it. Greatly appreciate your replies. Thanks!