Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capatty
Level 7

Auto-switch between 5.1 DD/DD+ and Pro-Logic Matrix

I have a question and feature request that is mainly relevant for users with surround sound setups for AVR units. My AVR supports several sound formats including DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby PLII. When stereo content is played, the surround unit defaults to stereo, unless I enable PLII, which I tend to enable; But, if I switch to a program supporting DTS or Dolby Digital/Plus, the PLII setting may override unless I manually change the settings on my AVR. Vice versa for stereo content - if I have PLII off and switch from a 5.1 show to something in stereo, I need to fiddle with my AVR to get matrix playback working.

In essence, I'm trying to find a way to have surround sound content when so encoded, and stereo content run through PLII matrix mode, without fiddling around on my AVR. My 2016 Roku Ultra can automatically pass DD+ as DD through optical, so it would be interesting if there was a way to do something similar to stereo content.

Alternately, if anyone on the board has recommendations for how they address this (semi-minor) quality of life issue with their home theater setups using Rokus, I'd be very interested in hearing about how you did it. Thanks very much.
TCL 55 inch 6 Series R613 (SN:YS00W7626058)
TCL 42 inch 5 Series (SN:YS00SA847038)
AVR: Samsung HW-N950 (5.1 DD, DTS+)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Auto-switch between 5.1 DD/DD+ and Pro-Logic Matrix

Honestly, I solve your issue with my AVR. It has modes/settings for each type of audio format on each HDMI port. Bottom line your AVR is not sophisticated enough.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos