Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joeboo
Binge Watcher

Audio passthrough on roku ultra device

I have a Roku ultra 2020 as well as a Vizio 5.1 sound system. The roku audio settings allow me to have different choices: PCM, pass through, DD Plus, etc. For some reason only passthrough allows my side speakers to work. Anyone know why that is or if I should be doing something different? Thanks.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Audio passthrough on roku ultra device

@Joeboo wrote:

I have a Roku ultra 2020 as well as a Vizio 5.1 sound system. The roku audio settings allow me to have different choices: PCM, pass through, DD Plus, etc. For some reason only passthrough allows my side speakers to work. Anyone know why that is or if I should be doing something different? Thanks.  

You want "Auto passthrough" - "Auto detect" transcodes/converts all non-DTS output to the highest detected Dolby level (E.g PCM MAT 2.x/Atmos, or DD+/Atmos, etc etc) of the connected device (regardless of # of channels etc - you dont want that).

Just leave it at auto-passthrough unless your audio drops, then you should toggle it to auto-detect, then back to auto-passthrough.

0 Kudos
Sawtaytoes
Channel Surfer

Re: Audio passthrough on roku ultra device

From what I understand, passthrough sends the audio bitstream directly to your receiver or TV rather than having the Roku process it.

My Roku Ultra 4800R has these settings:
- Auto
- Passthrough
- Stereo
- Custom

The "Auto" setting does some funk things and converts all audio sources to Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus.

"Stereo" is obvious converting all audio to 2-channel.

"Passthrough" is what allows my receiver handle any audio from the source (Roku app) rather than from the player (Roku Ultra) allowing it to support more kinds of audio streams. But I might be wrong here. It may be that the Roku, or its apps, need to support those formats for passthrough to work.

It's hard to test since most online media is Dolby Atmos over E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus) with no DTS to test even though the Roku specifically supports DTS and outputting over DTS through Plex.

0 Kudos