Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orpheusny

Audio description on- no way to turn off

Watching TV on the Spectrum app, a voice is describing the action, I have looked high and low but cannot find a way to turn it off.

Recommended solutions I have found online and tried: 1. pressing * button four times quickly, nope. 2. Turn off audio guide in “accessibility” menu in settings- I have a (Roku) 3 (4230x) and there is no accessibility option under settings, nor that I can see in any of the sub menus ( I believe I checked them all).

Spectrum app only offers one option for audio track so cant change that.

help!

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio description on- no way to turn off

You'd have to contact Spectrum.  The "accessibility" setting (that is mysteriously missing on Roku 3s) only affects the audio guide that has the robotic voice that reads the text on the screen when a video is not playing.  Any voice describing the action is baked into the audio track.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Audio description of what is going on visually in the program you are viewing is on an audio track for the program.  Typically this is an alternate audio track for the visually impaired alongside a "normal" track without the verbal descriptions.

The default Roku way to choose between audio tracks provided in a given program is via the remote * button while viewing the program and selecting the audio track.

Some channel apps don't use the Roku defaults, using instead their own means of reaching their control options. I don't have Spectrum so I can't tell you where to find their controls.  One common way of reaching control options is via the up and/or down cursor controls.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I am watching a PBS "American Masters" on Miles Davis.  Goddam whispering descriptions of the background images is destroying a great program.  I have checked all over the web and tried everything.  Called a friend with a ROKU - his doesn't do it.

Do I have to change to WebOS or a Chromestick?  This sucks hairy ostrich balls.

@makaiguy wrote:

Audio description of what is going on visually in the program you are viewing is on an audio track for the program.  Typically this is an alternate audio track for the visually impaired alongside a "normal" track without the verbal descriptions.

The default Roku way to choose between audio tracks provided in a given program is via the remote * button while viewing the program and selecting the audio track.

Some channel apps don't use the Roku defaults, using instead their own means of reaching their control options. I don't have Spectrum so I can't tell you where to find their controls.  One common way of reaching control options is via the up and/or down cursor controls.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate your post, @keithrosenfeld.

This may be through the channel settings or on the content itself. Try to pause the content you are streaming, then change the language or audio format. If the issue still persists, we suggest contacting PBS directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues and functionality inquiries. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach PBS support here: https://help.pbs.org/support/home

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

It's happening to me, and it must be something triggered by the Roku remote, as it will be fine for hours, then it will suddenly be describing everything, and nothing I can do can stop it. Since it's not happening consistently, it's obviously something that can be started or stopped with the remote. I've disabled audio guide & shortcut in Accessibility, but it's not affected it at all. This is very frustrating, any ideas? It also suddenly got lower in volume, from ten minutes ago, so what could be triggering it?

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

And I tried your advice to pause the stream, but it says I can't pause streaming content on live TV, so another dead end... So frustrating.

Oh, and why doesn't the last channel control work on my antenna channels any longer???  When I hit it, it plays back what just played, and doesn't take me back to the channel before!  So now, the only way of getting from a lower number to a very high one, is gone, unless I scroll & scroll & scroll!  This is the most confounding remote I've ever seen, it's like very old technology, like I went back in time... smh

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@StevenCee

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information regarding the audio guide issue you are experiencing? Is this only happening a specific channel or does this happen across all channels? Does this happen sporadically or is it continuing to happen?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Hi, It's only happening on one channel, and not always, but over 50% of the time.

0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem with my Roku 3. The audio navigator narrates things like turning tv on or off or increasing volume on tv. It’s really annoying! Please help! 

0 Kudos