Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitchinphx
Level 7

Audio/Video will play on TCL Roku TV but not Roku Ultra

Well the description sums it up pretty well. I have a home network that has a WD NAS drive on it. I have media folders which are accessible by all Rokus in the home. The issue I have is certain 4K videos will play fine on my 2018 TCL 55R615 Roku 4K TV but there is no audio on the 4K tv with the Roku Ultra in the other room. The Roku TCL tv plays it flawlessly in 4K HDR with audio. But the Ultra will not play the audio at all. Some videos will not even play on the Ultra but are again fine on my Roku TV. The Ultra will play 4K HDR movies through Vudu, etc. with no issues. So that TV will play 4K HDR and the audio streamed via a service. All Rokus are up to date software wise and I have power cycled all of them. Using a cat6 cable or  wireless gives the same results. The movie specs are as follows on a movie I am trying to get to play on the Ultra;

Video: HEVC, HDR10, Main10@L5.1High
Audio 1: MLP FBA 16CH Dolby True HD w/Atmos
Audio 2: AC3

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I thought the video/audio codecs were the same on the Roku tv and Ultra but I am guessing not? Is there a way to check which audio channel is being played on the Roku Media Player? Maybe I can change the audio to channel 2? Thanks!
Always trying to learn.....
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Audio/Video will play on TCL Roku TV but not Roku Ultra

No Roku will play Dolby TrueHD. I can't say why the TV is playing it, as my Sharp Roku TV will not play TrueHD. How are you streaming the media to your players? Most DLNA servers understand to transcode the audio, but whatever you are using must not be transcoding for the Ultra. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

I suspect the Roku TV is picking the AC3 audio track and not playing the TrueHD audio track.
What TV/AVR is hooked up to the Ultra? They need to be able to decode the AC3 in order to get audio from the Ultra.
0 Kudos
mitchinphx
Level 7

The TV connected to the Ultra is a Sony XBR43X800D 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD TV (2016 Model). Thank you!
0 Kudos
mitchinphx
Level 7

And I seem to have fixed it by removing the True HD audio track making the AC3 the only channel available. Took awhile to remux the video but the results worked. Now to see why certain vids won't play on the Ultra but do on the Roku TV. Thank you.
0 Kudos